[Solved] How do I capture the wim from VMware ?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by ceo54, Mar 15, 2018.

1. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Hi,

I'm creating a personalised Windows ISO and finished doing all the things. Now how do I capture the image from VMWare with Dism ? This is the path to the virtual machine's disk
    "C:\Users\Faudel\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 8.x x64 (2)\Windows 8.x x64 (2).vmdk"

I referred to a related thread that gives some idea. Here's how it is said to be done
    Code:
    dism /capture-image /imagefile:c:\temp\install.wim /capturedir:X:\mount /name:"Windows x.x 32-bit" /description:"You can make a really long, convoluted description here if you want. This part will show at the bottom of the screen after selecting the index during setup" /compress:max /checkintegrity /verify
    This is the part where I'm getting confused "capturedir:X:\mount" what should I replace it with ?

Please, if possible

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    u can also run dism from windows setup iso

4. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    i do it using the usual procedure :

i sysprep the image disk by simply running "sysprep.exe" (c:\windows\system32), the operation lasts few minutes before rebooting or shuting down (it depends on the chosen option)

then when booting i choose "command prompt" option then type this command :

Code:
    Dism /Capture-Image /ImageFile:X:\install.wim /CaptureDir:Z:\ /Name:"windows 7 pro"
    (x is the drive when you will save the captured image "install.wim", i usually save the image in external hard drive so i can save time instead of waiting for the system to finish completely so i can get the image file)

z is the drive that corresponds to the installed windows version with all applications, to know which drive letter corresponds to the installed windows version, type these command lines :

Code:
    diskpart
    list disk (you choose the right disk)
    list volume ( you will see the right drive letter that corresponds to the installed windows version)
    Now you know which drive letter it is, all you will have to do is place it in /CaptureDir:Z:\

That's it, this is the procedure i do everytime when i want to sysprep then capture either from VM or from real machine and it always worked for me. i hope i was clear enough in my explanation.

5. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Thanks for help Tito Enthousiast It appears like Windows explorer has build in support for VMDK file. I just right clicked the image and select "Map selected Disk..." and assigned it letter Z

When I called Dism to capture the image, it returned the error "System can't find the path specified"

I went into Diskpart as mehdibleu suggested and the it didn't list the volume. However, I could browse all the files in it.

What am I doing wrong ?

@mehdibleu thanks for the input bud.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    cmd
    diskpart
    list disk (if more than one disk is listed, you have to choose the right one)
    select disk 0 (i suppose it will be disk 0)
    list volume (and you will be able to see the right drive letter that corresponds to your installed windows version)

7. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
  8. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    Virtual drive still ain't listed under volumes and grabbed the Image with Dism. Used the procedure as mentioned and it showed other volumes just not the Virtual drive's. Okay it's completed thanks for the help Mehdi.

9. Da14te7

Da14te7 MDL Novice

Dec 4, 2018
    Can Some Body Please Please Kindly Explain Me This....I am looking for this over a long and long time