[Solved] How to block stubborn browser from auto-updating

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Winaddict, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Winaddict

Winaddict MDL Junior Member

Apr 29, 2012
    I'm using Yandex browser (Chrome engine) on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and I can't find the way to block its auto updating.
    I tried all I could: blocked the update.exe in the firewall; deleted/modified the update.exe; deleted the task in Task Manager; I changed the update.exe's compatility mode to Windows 95 256 bit and had the screen randomly blacking with huge black pixels (I guess it was trying to update).
    Nothing worked because the browser created new tasks in Task Manager and replaced the update.exe file, I see this as a hacking activity.
    The only thing I didn't try is blacklisting the connection in the hosts file but I don't know the IP address.

I'm asking you gurus here to help me find a solution because it's frustrating, these guys at Yandex don't understand that forcing the auto-update it's BAD because my internet connection has download limit and sometime is unstable!

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    dump Yandex and find another browser better suited for your needs?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    taken from there support :

yandex.PNG

windsman.

4. Winaddict

Apr 29, 2012
    I forgot to mention that I already read their script.

5. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    deny access to update file
    exec and write

6. Winaddict

Apr 29, 2012
    I don't understand, do you mean block it in the firewall?

7. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    google for ntfs permissions

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    @LiteOS doesn't but I do. You can block outbound connections of the updater executable responsible for installing browser's updates.

I always do this in my two machines.

9. Winaddict

Apr 29, 2012
    I don't have the update.exe file anymore because I deleted it but the browser still updates so how and where can I use ntfs permission?

Could you make a full sentence so we all can understand? Doesn't what?

10. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    No, he doesn't mean to say block it in firewall, yet I do want to say that I do block via firewall. Alright?

11. Winaddict

Apr 29, 2012
    Blocked already as I said in the first post, it didn't work..

12. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Or Check Task Manager see if there GoogleUpdate there, kill it, then you can delete GoogleUpdate.exe and not hard to find it. C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Update/ then delete GoogleUpdates.exe then go to Schedule Takes and remove the Google Update.. you can use CCleaner tools by go to Tools section, click Startup, the press tab "Schedule Task" then delete it. then reboot your pc.. That should take care of this..

13. Winaddict

Apr 29, 2012
    Tried everything also autoruns and deleted entries, it doesn't work because entreis are re-created as well as tasks.
    It must be an illegal hacking activity by Yandex because this is NOT the right way to force people to update their computers, they replayed to my complaint by saying it's for my good! How stupid are these people! LOL
    I will trash this browser just these days am too busy.

14. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    That's odd.. Cuz I noticed when show GoogleUpdate.exe and I killed it, then I went to Manager to Service and I disabled, then I reboot my pc, then stopped, then I double check task Manager and Task Schedule and see if cleared out, then I located and deleted GoogleUpdate.exe and works just fine.. Strange... Also, check any Malwares see if you got into Trojans?

ATGPUD2003

15. Winaddict

Apr 29, 2012
    I don't think that trojans were intented for auto updating a browser which makes non sense.... unless Yandex intentionally planted it in my system which is the most probable cause!

16. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    That's True.. Try work around, I had done before..

17. Winaddict

Apr 29, 2012
    Ok I was fed up with Yandex browser and I finally decided to uninstall it and install Cent browser.
    I think that Yandex browser is the worst example manager of Chrome engine.
    Before uninstall the cleaning program reported nearly 900MB of this crap because it used to auto update without my consent and keeping the previous downloaded files!
    After uninstall I still found 26 entries in the registry, 3 folders in programs and more in user's directories.
    The alarming thing is that I was using BitTorrent and I was not able to delete Yandex's folders but only after closing BitTorrent I was able to delete the folders!
    What a disgrace, these arrogant fouls pretend to hack people's computers in the aim of preventing computers being hacked!!!