Solved! HP Pavilion: Update failed, no repair possible? SPI-programmer?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Lutschpuppe, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Lutschpuppe

Lutschpuppe MDL Junior Member

Dec 23, 2014
    #1 Lutschpuppe, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
    Hello,

i have a HP Pavilion a6050.de, it has a Asus-MoBo M2N68-LA (Narra) with special HP-Bios. No afudos-tool (under DOS) was able to read/save the original BIOS-file. But i was able to save it under Windows with Winflash.

After updating under Windows Vista (no other OS is possible!) with original HP-tool from v5.02 to v5.13, the computer can't start. It says:
    Removing battery is no solution, i'm sure it is caused by a bad flash. It has a sort of recovery, but not working; i tried it from floppy-drive and cd-rom (IDE), but both isn't working.
    Booting from USB is not supported in this state. :(

So do i have any chance to get it working again?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    Hotswap with a board with same socket and a switch in ami dos to ignore part num.
    Or try floppy disk recovery ctrl home i think. And it will run win7

3. Lutschpuppe

Dec 23, 2014
    Ok, i am able now to boot DOS from floppy.

But next problem: Impossible to flash with awdflash. It is always stuck at "Please input File name": i write the filename (for example: awdbios.bin or a:\awdbios.bin), enter, but nothing happening. Always message above (f*cking tool!).

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    its easy.. type this exactly
    c: (press enter)
    now type awdflash filename ( no drive name)
    if error type dir pres enter and see what files it sees.

5. Lutschpuppe

Dec 23, 2014
    I tried several versions of awdflash (including some engineering versions without restrictions/request) and commands, no success.
    I also tried uniflash, it can't recognize the chip.

After searching google, many others had this problem and NO ONE had success - my conclusion, this recovery is bulls**t, because not working in any case.

Anybody skills and experience with SPI-flashing? The mobo has a SPI-connector: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01925562#N424
    I have a buspirate: http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Bus_Pirate

But what about the mac/serial/SLIC-Table and so on, when flashing the bios.bin? Are these values stored in the same file and overwritten?

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @LatinMcG & Lutschpuppe

Don't get confused; the board uses Award bios, not AMI.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Lutschpuppe

Dec 23, 2014
    I read the ASUS-manual and they use afudos for mobo M2N68 (without ending -LN!), so i tried first afudos, but not working, perhaps only for ASUS-biosfiles? HP flashed it with their own bios.

But it was possible to read bios under Vista with Winflash, and after extracting the HP-package - winflasher again. I can open the saved biosfile with awardtool, but it shows no SLIC, the computer has definitely SLIC 2.0, because it was sold as OEM/Vista preactivated. I checked it with SLIC-dumptoolkit before flashing bricking.....

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #8 LatinMcG, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  9. Lutschpuppe

Dec 23, 2014
    Good news: That worked fine. I flashed with the ASUS_AWDFLASH_132 from the package with floppy. First original biosfile to check if vista-slic is still present after that (and it is. I have no idea where HP stored it, perhaps compressed code).

Many thanks to you! :worthy: