[Solved] If I Upgrade CPU, Do I Have To Re-Install A KMS Activated Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ChaserLee, Apr 8, 2018.

1. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    I'm considering upgrading my very old cpu to something a bit newer. I know that I've read that if I change any significant component in my system, I'd have to re-install or get a new 'legit' windows 10 LTSB license.

However, for sake of conversation, what if I were running a pre-activated version of LTSB. Would I still need to re-install the same pre-activated version again, just because the mobo has a new cpu?

Forum search brought me no joy on this question.

TIA

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. wonderwall

wonderwall MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2015
    how is it "pre-activated"? some kind of KMS solution?

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I wouldn't think just by replacing the cpu alone would create an activation, It would have to be something more like the motherboard

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    That's good news!

Now, let's see if that's the general consensus before I go buying a replacement cpu. Thanks!

5. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Per the title of this thread, I would assume that to be true.

6. wonderwall

wonderwall MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2015
    i was more wondering what KMS solution was used, sorry for not being clear.

I'm not sure if a CPU change is enough of a hardware change to trigger the need to reactivate.

KMS requires constant reactivation as it is, so whatever KMS activator was used in the first place should still be installed and functional. I'd think if your hardware changed enough to change the installation ID, it'll simply reactivate and you wouldn't have any problems. And if you were unable to reactivate, you could probably install something like KMSpico or something to fix it.

In any case, just try it! :) I'm confident enough that everything will be OK.

7. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Thanks for your advice.

8. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    If it's KMS-activated, you need periodic activation anyway. That's the point. KMS machines are "immune" to all hardware changes because they just reactivate anyway.

9. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Right, it does the 180 day cycle, as I recall. Thing is, I'm not sure LTSB is activated by KMS. There is no KMS directory anywhere, like past versions of Windows that were activated by KMS. There is no KMS service running, nor is there any reference to KMS in the Task Scheduler.

Bottom line is that I don't know how it was pre-activated, so I cannot count on the fact that it's a recurring thing, as with KMS....

Any ideas how I can track down the method that was used? Hypothetically speaking, that is..

10. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    What's the output of slmgr /dlv?

11. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    Yep, there it is alright. VOLUME_KMSCLIENT channel . Plain as day. I wonder where it's hiding? I can't find it in any running processes, it's not listed in AutoRuns, and I don't find it on my system drive using Everything search engine.

Anyways, that answers my original question. I'm good to go with the CPU upgrade. And, I've learned that I could even upgrade to another mobo without having to worry about activation issues. cool.....

Thanks!

12. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    Does it have any server data cached? Like IP address.

13. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    It's showing a KMS Server ID address

14. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    You sure want to continue using such a win 10 version,I wouldn't?

15. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I never said I was using such a version as a daily driver. Mine is completely legit. I asked a hypothetical question, and I'm getting hypothetical answers.

Any questions I have may or may not be related to a Virtual Machine setup.....

16. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    Maybe,,,

Check Windows Task Manager for KMS service

17. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    How I would do it is replace CPU install win 7 activate using Daz loader then upgrade to Win 10 and get a legit license ;)

18. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    In that case wouldn't this query be more suitable in various kms tools own threads.If it is indeed kms activated then either it is done by using a tool(in which case tool creators should give better replies) or it was activated using a "working kms server" in which case it is just the question of finding whether that kms server is genuine(aka of a reputable organisation) or not(some shady foreign server).

19. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I see this thread is quickly turning into troll food.

I consider it done and over..