[SOLVED] Internet speed and Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pisthai, Jan 17, 2019.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #1 pisthai, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    thx for this I noticed the same issue here.

3. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    Mb with old driver it will also works as win7?
    Or trying installing new os ?

Im wondering if the os do that
    Or the isp use the os to do that

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Most likely the ISP use the OS to do that!

Unfortunately, in this country, every connection to the internet is monitored by the gov via the ISP's DNS Servers, as well as Google, Facebook and many others. Also, some VPN's under close observation too!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The problem for me just started after the latest update of 1809. But I couldn't say it depends on the MS Update or on any change of some changes by my ISP. Could be either of that!

Regarding the downloads, I need to use Torrents because of the high security of torrent files and also because of the huge size of the single files from up to 200GB for a single file. I'm just finished downloading the batch of 3 files with total 272GB! FTP isn't secure enough at all!

Anyway, it doesn't matter you all times need to use a DNS Server even if the transfer protocol of FTP differs. Beside of that, FTP needs 2 ports to work correctly. Just the main reason to use torrents are the Security!

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #8 Yen, Jan 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    I wonder how a DNS server should have influence on download speeds when comparing w7 to w10.
    It can when doing its job only. Which means when translating an URL to an IP address...
    The 'surf' speed browsing through lots of sites is affected by that, but D/L speeds at single file downloads????

Maybe try the app namebench to find your fastest DNS for your location.

But I rather guess it's a temporary issue or a w10 issue.
    The ISP has no fault.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    May the problem is related to the main settings used by the ISP on their Servers? That would be some info very hard to get from them. Also, the use of downloading (huge) Torrents may have some effect.

I already tested the downloading speed with the IPS's DNS Servers and they're starting 'throttling' after about 1h for the same download, for both Torrents and normal files. Same happens if using the Google DNS Servers. CloudFlare DNS Servers running at full the whole time. The DNS Servers from Comodo, Quad, OpenDNS, VeriSign and some others also don't throttle, just the CloudFlare are the fastest I could find at my place.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I downloaded NameBench already and run it now.

First, at all, it runs very slow!

And to be honest, I'm not interested in known and use the fastest (in ms) available Nameservers, I'm just interested in those which give me a fast download speed without any throttling and other hick-hack!

Edit: and also just to mention, I needed to use the Task manager now to stop NameBench to work, and shut off!

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I know the app namebench from testing it years ago...
    I just noticed that it hasn't been updated quite a while. Maybe it's not properly working anymore on current w10...
    Maybe DNSBench is the better alternative.

Anyway. There is no technical reason and way how a DNS server should be responsible for throttling the download after a while.
    A DNS server translates URLs. After the download has started the DNS plays no role anymore.

Cloudflare uses caching ...maybe that's why their 'route' is better working..but there should be no difference to w7 then...

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @Yen: you wrote: "A DNS server translates URLs. After the download has started the DNS plays no role anymore."

AFAIK, that did not apply at least to Torrents. DNS Servers will need to work the whole time because of the structure of the files don loaded which are split into many different (and low space) tiles from within a lot of different IP's, which are added and/or changed the whole time the Torrent is downloaded until its finished.

And I don't mind if there isn't any technical reason or whatsoever, a simple fact is, the ISP's in Thailand throttle the downloads after some time (minutes or hours), special by the use of downloading Torrents. The only things counting for me is to have a way to bypass that throttling. As the use of the CloudFlare DNS Servers works for me, I'll keep that for now and as longs as it does its job.

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #19 Yen, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    I agree with you. Using CloudFlare DNS works for you and that's the important thing.
    Anyway I'd be interested why latest w10 has the problem and w7 not...I mean it makes not much sense to throttle at w10 and on w7 not.

You're right. Torrents are on P2P networks and a DNS has probably to do translations still during downloading the parts. I guess this has not much impact on D/L speeds, though. All the more it does IMHO not reason throttling after a while only.

I actually thought an ISP would control speed by controlling ports used for torrents (deep packet inspection). A 'common' download via http is port 80 and via https is port 443.

The bitTorrent client has the default port 6881 and the UDP tracker port 8881.

What can speed up is to enable DHT. I am using the UDP port 7881 for DHT (DistributedHashTable) communications.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @Yen:

I use Tixati 2.58 64bit as Torrent Client with Port 17xxx, and I use UPNP / NAT-PMP to forward the port on Router. DHT is enabled and run, with a max of up to 40 simultaneous searches. The relates settings in my Router are handled for my whole LAN via Smoothwall Express. which is also used for AV scan for all incoming and outgoing traffic.

That W7 Machine is an older HP Desktop (Intel Quad) which I use for some special Apps etc. while my Main Machine is an AMD Machine running Windows 10 1809 with latest updates.

What really has triggered the problem on the W10/1809, I really don't know. I was today switch back to my ISP's DNS Servers and the throttling started again after 1h 5min, so I'm back on CloudFlare DNS now and that works already 6h with full speed. AFAIK, my ISP is throttling on normal accounts, incl. a 1:25 sharing, but on Business Accounts. The latter is very expensive in Thailand and I use them in my Company only but at home. Business Accounts cost 10 to 15 times as Home Account and also underlying stricter control by the Gov, which also monitors the traffic.

If the same problems starting again at home sometimes, I'll contact and meet with the ISP to get more info.