[Solved] Issue with Samsung NP500P4C-T03CL

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by MCardona81, Oct 28, 2016.

1. MCardona81

MCardona81 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2016
    #1 MCardona81, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
    Hello

I have a strange issue with this laptop:

Procesador: Intel Core i5 3210M (2500 MHz - 3100 MHz)
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 (1600 MHz)
    Video Cards: Intel HD Graphics 4000 (integrated) NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M (DDR3) (1GB)

It stopped working for no reason, it turned on, I could hear the cpu fan but It got no image , so i took it to a tech store and the guy manage to "fix it". It now turns on but it shuts down after 45 minutes with no warning and not by overheating, the tech guy has no idea why. I checked the charger with a multimeter and the voltage output is correct.

Someone told me that this could be a "BIOS ME region issue, so it needs to be cleaned." but I have no idea how to do that

Any help would be apreciated.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You have said on another forum, that the laptop always shuts down at 29:5x min
    So, but if You then turn it on again, does it works again exactly for the same time and shuts down again?
    If so, then there must be some kind of scheduled task, which starts with computer and runs for 29:5x min. Maybe You have some kind shut-down-timer somewhere, which does its work very carefully and correctly.
    Where did You got this pc? Or maybe there are some more users, who have set up such a timer or task?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MCardona81

MCardona81 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2016
    Yes . It shuts down again , it even shuts down when I boot from a live cd

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If so, it's really something strange, it is worth examining the BIOS settings.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MCardona81

MCardona81 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2016
    I Analyzed the BIOS using ME Analyzer and it is the result I get:

"File does not contain Intel Engine Firmware"

7. MCardona81

MCardona81 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2016
    Yes, I tried that, still having the issue

8. MCardona81

MCardona81 MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2016
    #9 MCardona81, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    (OP)
    Thanks to @Tito who pointed me in the right direction:

"The ME region needs to be cleaned from initialization data and reflashed. You need to dump with "fpt -d spi.bin" and follow the cleanup guide. If you receive error 26 then check this post and ignore the first and last sentence."

"Intel Anti-Theft needs to be disabled as it is EOL since 01/2015 and can cause issues if left activated nowadays. You need to reflash the ME region with one that is clean+configured and with AT disabled. For that you need write access to it's SPI region and thus either a programmer or the "pinmod" is required. For the latter, you need to find what audio chip your system has, find it's pinout schematic online and look for pins SDATA_OUT and DVDD. Then, short these two while the system starts during POST and stop when the OS starts to load. Once booted, check (use FTK)"fpt -d spi.bin" and it should dump the whole SPI image without the error 26. Remember that this process is temporary, if you reboot or shutdown you will have to do it again so if you succeed (not so easy with such small audio pins nowadays) try to do everything together. When that's done, take that "spi.bin" on another computer (to not have to do the "pinmod" again) and follow the Engine cleanup guide which has detailed instructions on how you can remove any initialization dirt while keeping OEM settings (clean+configure) and how to permanently disable AT at the same time. At step 8 of the guide, additionally go to "Descriptor Region > Master Access Section" and set all Read and Write Accesses to 0xFF (6 in total). The previous step will disable the SPI image protection so that you won't have to redo the "pinmod" if for some reason you need to reflash or change something. Once you are done and the system is fully operational/repaired, you can re-enable that lock if you so desire as Intel recommends for security purposes. When you finish the guide and have a modded SPI image with a ME region which is clean+configured and without AT, go to the laptop and flash it using " fpt -rewrite -me -f outimage.bin followed by "fpt -greset" command. Once the system resets, check if the problem is gone, if you can now see the Intel ME interface at Device Manager and if MEInfo and MEManuf tools report everything as being ok. Your system is Ivy Bridge (Panther Point PCH) so you need to use ME 8 firmware and system tools, nothing else."