[SOLVED] Lenovo 2-in-1 black screen

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by QuantumBug, Mar 27, 2016.

1. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    #1 QuantumBug, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Someone has passed me a Lenovo two in one (Lenovo Flex 2-14 Model 20404) where the screen has suddenly stopped working.

On the external HDMI everything works, I turned up the brightness with no luck, checked connectors and flushed the BIOS by removing internal batteries.

It wasn't dropped, knocked or anything.

Also, the touchscreen does work whilst using an external monitor.

Very annoying, does anyone have experience with these as I don't particularly want to dismantle the screen as in my knowledge it's all taped together.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Possible loose screen connector due to movement of the hinges. You would have to open it to insert it back properly.

3. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    I already did this, the screen connector is seated perfectly. On an external monitor the "Generic PnP Monitor" shows as detected and is working fine.

Thanks for your input :)

Regards, The Dev.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #4 Hadron-Curious, Mar 28, 2016
    Did you clean it or apply little tonguing process before inserting it back? It could be the screen connector cable is broken. However, it could be the screen is faulty altogether. You are welcome, sir.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  6. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #6 tonto11, Mar 28, 2016
    Had a similar prob with a Dell XFR
    turned out that the flex cable had broken conductors where the cable came through the hinge
    between the screen and the base
    replaced the whole top of the laptop
    and later discovered I could make the screen work
    by using an ordinary cable
    touchscreen obviously would not work
    the screen is now on an ordinary (non rugged) laptop

...T

7. QuantumBug

QuantumBug MDL Developer

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks for your input guys, I decided to not be lazy and un-bond the screen.

All voltage and signals from the motherboard check out so the LVDS cable and motherboard connector are fine, however I found some small burns on the LCD flex circuitry where some Kapton had not been placed appropriately therefor this person has a faulty LCD panel.

Replacement on the way so we can call this case closed.

Regards, The Dev.