[Solved] Macrium Reflect/Clone, now "No Post Device Available"

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by dougwa, Dec 30, 2018.

1. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    I took the hard drive out of a Dell Inspiron 660, attached it to a 32 bit Windows XP box and used Macrium Reflect to clone the drive to a new hard drive. Now neither of those drives work in the Dell!:

No boot device available
    Sata 0: Installed
    Sata 1: Installed
    Strike the F1 key to retry boot
    F2 to run the Setup utility

I know the Dell had Windows 7 which someone did the free Windows 10 update to.
    If I disable the UEFI boot option in BIOS, it will boot only to Windows 7.
    At first I wondered if I'd blown a GPT drive up by installing in an MBR box, but if it was a GPT drive I don't think the partitions would even have shown up in Macrium, right?
    Any advice on how to proceed?

2. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Oh, and I should have said... since the Dell was set for UEFI boot, the original hard drive MUST have had GPT partitions, right?
    But now when I look at that hard drive in Macrium, it lists as MBR. I don't understand how hooking it up and booting to Windows XP could have done that... Dare I use the newest version of EaseUS Partition software to convert the original drive from MBR to GPT, and then if it boots, use a 64 bit version of Windows 10 to clone the drive again?

3. vanelle

vanelle MDL Expert

Sep 22, 2014
    lol
    You have done everything you can only do wrong
    if you change the HD
    1. you have to clone the old HD 1:1
    2. dont change the Partitipnstype
    3. dont change the Filesystem
    4. the only thing you can change is the partiton size of the boot partition (not recommended but sometimes necessary if the new HD is smaller - eg if you change from HD to SSD)

in case of windows
    all changes you have done must be donn after you have plug in the new HD, from the running OS (like change the partitions type to gpt)

4. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013