[Solved] Metro Apps Context Menu Missing

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by hellohello, Mar 8, 2014.

1. hellohello

hellohello MDL Junior Member

May 10, 2007
    #1 hellohello, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I am using windows 8.1 update 1

I am not sure since when but I just realized that the context menu, whereas I can select the size of the metro apps is missing. Whenever I right click a tile, all it shows is just a tick.

Besides, the bar that should shown at the bottom are also gone from the metro start menu. The option to turn live tile on and off are missing too.

The ability to rename groups of tile are missing and I can't remove added tile (aside those added by oblytile) too.

Any idea whats going on?

I am using oblytile but I don't think that is the one causing it as I removed it and still the same.

2. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    The bars is gone for the start screen (still there for apps view) but you should get a right click on the Apps with all the options

3. hellohello

May 10, 2007
    Let's say I right click the weather app, the tick is shown but no context menu to select the size, not even the option to remove it from the start menu.

4. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    open command prompt (admin) and write the command :
    dism /online /Get-TargetEditions

and tell us what is your version.

5. hellohello

May 10, 2007

also stated can be upgraded to prowmc

I hope I don't need to reformat

6. geobot

geobot Guest

--Could you please provide a screenshot..?

--Nope, it's still there.. Press Space bar.. voila!

--Try right-clicking on another app..

--Just right click in an empty space on Start, "Name groups" will appear..

7. hellohello

May 10, 2007
    Oh my goodness, spacebar and viola it is there.

Since when it behaves that way, for a moment I am planning to backup all files just to get the bar back.

The name group is partially beneath tiles, I am not sure why but still I can still aim click and rename.

Thank you so much :)

8. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    #8 cuteee, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    take a screenshot: press
    Win key + Print Scr

By the way, you can't tick app without get context menu (like in 8.1).

9. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    You can, but you need a keyboard to do so. Ctrl+leftclick lets you select multiple tiles without getting a context menu, but obviously you still need to bring up the context menu to do anything with the tiles.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. hellohello

May 10, 2007
    I am not sure what's going on, most probably it happens after updating to 8.1

Left click alone won't bring up context menu or the menu bar at the bottom. Nothing can be done on the tile aside selecting the tile itself (tick)

Pressing space bar will bring out the menu bar (thanks to geobot for pointing this out).

The only problem now is renaming group of tile is beneath the tile itself. I remembered it used to be nicely placed right above tile but it is no longer this way. This could be due to higher DPI I am not sure. It can still be clicked but needs a bit aiming here.

Phew, I am just glad it is solved and no format needed.

11. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    No. when I press CTRL+left click I still get context menu.

12. Userfriendly

Userfriendly MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    I know the thread says solved but I found the same problem and discovered the cause and fix for it. Using any 3rd party visual style (with uxstyle), right clicking on the tiles in the start screen only selects the tile with a tick and shows no context menu. However if I switch back to the default theme, the the new mouse context menu shows up. Not sure if the visual styles need to be updated or it might be a a uxstyle patch problem.

Though it's hard to figure out what the OP is talking about. Yes, pressing Spacebar in the Start Screen brings up the old bottom menu bar but that doesn't solve the missing context menu thats supposed shows up next to the mouse cursor when right clicking on tiles which is the new feature for Update 1. Like you know, similar to the one that shows up in desktop mode. Pressing spacebar to show the bottom menu bar is just a workaround because it's meant to be used for the touch interface.

Regarding selecting mutiple tiles. CTRL+leftclick you can select multiple tiles without the menu showing. CTRL+rightclick lets you select multiple tiles as well but context menu shows each click.

13. hellohello

May 10, 2007
    You found the culprit. Yep I am also using 3rd party style. Switching back to default visual style does makes the context menu to reappear from right clicking tile.

However, I still don't get the menu bar at the bottom. Luckily we have spacebar workaround.

14. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    Msstyle was updated with update 1. Windows 8 themes will no longer work, and 8.1 themes won't either. The theme makers need to actually update their themes to truly support Windows 8.1 Update 1.