[Solved] Mini XP and GPT Partition drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Deleted member 773088, Oct 30, 2017.

I booted my PC using a rescue disk called 'Hiren Boot CD 15.2' and loaded Mini XP Environment off it. I am not too sure if Hiren Boot CD has rights to distribute Mini XP on that CD but it loaded properly on my PC.

What surprised me is that Mini XP actually detected and mounted my GPT Hard Drive partitions. I was expecting it to be detected as Protective MBR.

Does Mini XP somehow support reading GPT Partition scheme drive? I was under the impression that when it comes to XP, only Windows XP 64 bit Version supports GPT.

Does anyone have any idea? Thanks.

1. vanelle

vanelle MDL Expert

Sep 22, 2014
    'Hiren Boot CD 15.2'
    is like bart's boot CD
    -> a mini XP with additional software and drivers

eg. Paragon GPT Loader
    is a driver wich support GPT partitions on XP 32 bit
    The only thing to do is write a script that includes such a driver in the Mini XP build process.

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    Hiren's boot cd, best thing since the Swiss army knife
    I keep it on all my flash drives

...T

3. @vanelle Ok so it looks like Mini XP on Hiren Boot CD 15.2 already has GPT loader driver slipstremed into it. I did nothing except just boot and it detected and mounted all GPT partitions seamlessly in Explorer.

Thanks.

4. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Try searching for "Hiren's Boot DVD Restored Edition".

5. That Mini XP is heavily modified and includes the drivers that you speak of. Natively though, Windows XP does not support GPT, neither x86 or x64.