[Solved] Motherboard ethernet port dead? Working fine before Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jellybelly, Feb 18, 2014.

1. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    #1 jellybelly, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    So I'm just looking for any way to confirm (other than just 'duh it's not working') if the port is dead... this is very strange order of events..

Had Windows 7, figured it was time to reinstall.. so for the heck of it did Windows 8.1 -- everything was fine... I'm not exactly sure at what point but somewhere between installing 8.1 and deciding I didn't want to use 8.1 the LAN port stopped working. I thought "hmm ok" and went ahead and reinstalled Win 7...... still no LAN port. Ethernet is dead. Troubleshooter tells me to plug in an ethernet cable ---- cable is good as I tested it with another computer. Tried a second cable just for kicks, same result. Plugged LAN direct to cable modem (instead of router) and same result. LAN dead.

So is there anything I could possibly be missing? Or is the only obvious problem that the LAN port somehow got fried? (NIC is enabled in BIOS, wouldn't have been disabled on it's own anyways).

Motherboard is under warranty but what a PITA to RMA for a LAN port. I don't have any ethernet cards hanging around to use but wouldn't want to live with a "broken" mobo anyways.

Oh yeah -- and device manager says it's working fine. I've unisntalled/reinstalled the driver as well.

2. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    uninstall , and reinstall the driver or update it..you have tried everything else:confused:

3. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Oh yeah I did try that too, and device manager says it's working fine.. but nothing happening.

4. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    other than a rogue "dust bunny" :rocket: I would say time to RMA:rip:

5. goldfinger

goldfinger MDL Junior Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Download a Linux Live CD such as Ubuntu or Fedora. Boot it up and see if you can browse websites.

Is this a motherboard you installed yourself? If so, take it out of the case and test it. A common problem is to have a standoff shorting the area below the LAN chip.

Otherwise RMA it. I hope it's not an ASUS board or you might get screwed.

6. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    #6 jellybelly, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    (OP)
    It is a self-installed motherboard, but 2 years in use. And it is an ASUS board.. lol.. why do you say that? Hopefully there will be no problem. I've RMA'd an ASUS laptop before without issue.

Re-installing Windows 7 again with a unmodified iso.. see what happens.

-- Still dead.

7. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    RMA is fine and good for such things, as long as you have another computer to use for the next month or two. I've not found such things to happen quickly unless they give you a cross-ship option.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    #8 jellybelly, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    (OP)
    Have other laptops to use for important stuff, just no way to access the internal drives while the motherboard is down.

Last ditch effort -- trying the ubuntu live cd to see if anything works, but it's not looking good. (Edit: no luck with the live cd)

Sigh.

Windows 8.1 nuked my NIC.

If I have any issues with the RMA, as in I don't get it replaced... then I'm in trouble.. it's an LGA1156 board so unless I found an expensive new one or bought a used one I'll have to change my CPU at a minimum, then I might as well change other stuff too... and spend money I don't really need to... all over a LAN port.

--- Thinking about it, it is quite the hassle just for a LAN port.... maybe I should just deal with it and get a NIC card or use a wifi adapter for now.. removing the motherboard is a pain.

9. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #9 redroad, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Yea the RMA is a tuff situation to be in :(

Maybe Try this if using dhcp, at a dos/cmd prompt .. If it's getting that far ?

Code:
    Ipconfig /release

and then

Ipconfig /renew 
    Also worth a shot resetting the TCP/IP stack.

Code:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    reboot after each cmd

10. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Ordered a new NIC from Newegg..... not going to bother with the RMA. Getting more RAM as well, the downside of shopping on Newegg, always want to buy more stuff!

11. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    With all this mucking around did you actually see if the link status light turned on when you plugged the network cable in?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    There are no lights on the board.

but in a twisted turn of events....... after having the pc powered off all night.... i just started it up and the lan port is working again..... so WTF!

too late to cancel the newegg order :\ i also dont have any ram slots for the ram i ordered.. lol.. i'm an idiot.

13. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    #13 matt167, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    "ping loopback" in cmd. That tests the NIC in a no BS way. either it works or it does not. Ping 127.0.0.1 does the same thing

14. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Not that I'm taking your admission to being an idiot as serious, but was there any possibility the cable wasn't fully seated?

15. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    The idiot part was for me ordering RAM when I have no free slots to put it in... lol

As for the port it's still a mystery.. the cable was fine, as I tried a couple cables.. it's just very odd.. the pc had been rebooted and stuff while reinstalling windows a couple times and that did nothing, but powering it off for a night fixed it..... so strange!

hopefully i can return the nic without too much hassle. (and the ram!)

16. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i would update bios.. sounds like ACPi issue. :whistle3: