[Solved] Mouse doesn't work with new MB

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by doniel, Apr 9, 2014.

1. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    I had to revert to my previous motherboard because when I tried to install my new one - a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S1 - and booted into my existing installation XP, my USB mouse wouldn't respond. When I went into the new board's BIOS, the mouse worked perfectly, but in Windows, the cursor icon never moved.

2. rEApEAt

rEApEAt MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    #2 rEApEAt, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    As far as I can see, your "existing installation" seems to be the cause of this issue.

Backup your data and try a fresh OS installation along with the new motherboard drivers. It's the cleanest solution.

If you really want to keep your "existing installation", use a different mouse (Windows may install a generic driver for it) or try to remove your existing mouse driver using only the keyboard... It's not the best way to do things, but may work.

3. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    I definitely don't want to reinstall. Reinstalling Windows isn't the issue - reinstalling all the software for it is.

I already tried a second mouse. Should have mentioned that in my original post.

If you know where I can find the keyboard shortcuts to get to Device Manager and uninstall the driver, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll try to google it.

Thank you.

4. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    #4 rEApEAt, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    No problem, here we go:

1. Open the start menu with the Windows key
    2. Navigate to the Control Panel (arrow keys + enter to open it)
    3. Navigate to "Mouse" (arrow keys + enter to open it)
    4. Navigate to "Hardware" tab (you'll get there using the arrow keys and TAB; optionally, you can use also shift + TAB)
    5. Try the "Troubleshoot..." button or
    6. Go straight to the "Properties" button, "Driver" tab, "Uninstall".

In a word, using the arrows and the TAB key (and Enter of course) you can make it.

I hope it helps.

5. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    That's great!

Thank you so much.

I just need an alternative for step 1. I've had this fabulous keyboard for the last 23 years, but alas, it lacks a Windows key.

6. rEApEAt

Jan 5, 2011
    No problem! Try Ctrl + ESC ;)

7. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    Thank you again. It may be a couple of weeks before I can get to this (I'm simply overwhelmed right now), but I will let you know.

8. ianymaty

ianymaty MDL Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Easy way to access mouse properties.

Type main.cpl in Run box or cmd window and hit enter.

9. doniel

doniel MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2014
    It took much longer than I thought it would to get to it, but here's what happened. Windows eventually found my new hardware and installed the USB mouse.

Thank you to all of you who took the time to reply and offer suggestions.