[Solved] Need help. Damaged the Bios, Can't boot now.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by LoverOfLove, Dec 6, 2017.

1. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Today is my first day i was playing with the bios flashing. I knew it is very possible I make my PC unbootable but I couldn't stop the desire to flash a jpg in my bios. Although i have made a backup of my bios Before.
    Right now on PC startup monitor is not working.

What can I do now?
    Please help. :(

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You obviously need to reflash you bios, look up manufacturers site for bios recovery procedures. No one can help you have given no information on bios version motherboard e.t.c. there are also bios recovery threads in stickies

3. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Thanks for the reply...
    My motherboard have no company name on it. It is very cheap. BTW it has Ami bios. I don't have any idea what to do now.

4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    If you are lucky and it an older amibios when the pc is 'trying' to boot to bios it will be looking for a file called amibios.rom on either the HDD/USB/CD or floppy drive. You can sometimes invoke the recovery procedure by pressing CTRL and the HOME buttons holding them down and then turning on the pc. This hopefully will then be looking for the .rom or .cap file.

If you can upload the backed up bios it may be possible to interrogate the bios file for any possible recovery names such as *****.ROM *****.cap even the model/make if that information is within the bios file.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Thanks I will try your suggestion and upload backed up ROM file here

6. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    The more newer AMI (Aptio type) may have a different method to invoke the recovery process, it also depends on the maker if they kept that part of the bios in, as most new UEFI bios's may of removed the recovery section or have a obscure way to start the process.

It's a lesson learnt not to flash a bios or editing one without having a back up plan in place.

You made the backup which is good, however that is only part of the equation.

Reading up about recovery methods for the board or having a SPI/BIOS programmer to hand is something i learnt to do after a few failures!

Even with everything in place, things can still go very wrong.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    #7 LoverOfLove, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    (OP)

8. LoverOfLove

LoverOfLove MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    i pulled out cmos battery and now my pc is working fine again... hurrraayyy:clap::clap3::worthy:

9. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Nice :) I was going to suggest cmos battery removal or use the clr_cmos jumper. But was unsure if you had tried that.