[Solved] Need help installing 7 on a UEFI PC

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lucidus, Jul 6, 2016.

1. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Hi, I'm trying to install Windows 7 64 bit on a separate SSD. I unplugged all other drives before starting the PC, including the windows 10 GPT/UEFI boot drive.

This SSD was formatted in the installer but it gave the "Setup was unable to create a new system partition.." error. It remains this way even if I set CSM to enabled/legacy only or gives the error that "windows can be installed only on gpt drive on efi systems".
    I set it to "Other OS" in the boot section so secure mode should be disabled. When I set CSM to auto, it gets installed in GPT mode and daz's loader had the wrong partition table error.
    Forcing it to boot in non-UEFI mode gives me same error about partitions. I tried the diskpart instruction in daz's read me file but it made no difference. The SSD has no data or partitions.

Motherboard is an asus maximus 8 hero z170.

windows 7 iso (may 2016) is by murphy78 with usb3 drivers.

I made the bootable usb drive using the "mbr for bios/uefi csm" option in rufus.

This SSD is from my old PC which originally had Windows 10 installed in mbr mode and it was an old BIOS system. I could boot into it normally on my new PC by enabling CSM. I'd rather not be forced to install 7 on it first and then move it to my new pc!

Help please :p

2. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    I did convert to MBR, problem is it didn't install. I realized it was GPT only because of that error in the loader. Still hoping for a solution to take advantage of the free upgrade offer, my current boot drive does use the toolkit by Cody with 10 Enterprise.

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    #4 MrMagic, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    USB stick is created with MBR for BIOS/UEFI (NTFS) in Rufus
    SSD delete all partitions at drive selection screen in 7 setup, create new partition from unallocated space, and leave as defaults that 7 sets

It still complains about EFI?

You're not booting the UEFI setup from the USB stick? There should be two bootable USB choices, normal and UEFI

Not sure about setting the BIOS to "Other OS", that might be for that ancient old OS, I forget the name now

Murphy's Win 7 May ISO says " -UEFI boot info/data added to ISO" - try the UEFI boot if it lets you via bootable devices key after POST

But if you create it with normal MBR for BIOS using a normal stock 7 ISO, and 100% delete all SSD partitions > create new partition, I don't see any reason it won't work if the BIOS is set to CSM, sounds like the SSD still has a GPT partition active somewhere

5. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Just use Pro, not ultimate, home or enterprise, upgrade/downgrade to it eventually

then use the MS toolkit to activate it, then get your W10 entitlement.

6. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Yeah, and partitions. I also tried the diskpart instructions in Daz's readme.

Yeah, there were two. One had UEFI prefix and the other didn't. I chose the plain one. Setting it to "Other OS" automatically skips the UEFI version.

UEFI boot will create the GPT version, I had let it install with CSM set to auto and I assumed it would be MBR because of rufus' settings but I was wrong. I think I will try the basic windows 7 sp1 ISO from Microsoft and maybe use the old tool for making the ISO. Hopefully there will be no trace of GPT stuff then?

7. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    You mean Windows 7 Pro from that same ISO with GPT/UEFI? Install Ultimate key and activate via tool kit and then install Windows 10 Pro using the ISO with media creation tool?

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Install w7 pro, don't use any key, mstoolkit will insert the right one for you, and yes you can install it on the UEFI partition, or you can install it on a native VHD just to get the ticket to activate w10 (you can't in place upgrade an OS running on a native VHD)

Alternatively you can use W8.1 pro. Same thing. Just activate it with MS toolkit and upgrade (or get the ticket)

9. messerchmidt

messerchmidt MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2009
    i had to load usb3 drivers into the win7 iso to get it to install on a uefi intel nuc.

try this - delete the partitions on the ssd, then try installing win7 and let it create them.

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    make sure u remove csm totally in bios settings only uefi and wipe hdd as GPT/EFI.

i didnt use ms toolkit.. i use slmgr.vbs -ipk THEKEY-GOES-HERE
    then the certificate command (google it)^

11. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    #11 lucidus, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    (OP)
    Well I installed Win7 Pro from that iso and let it install with GPT and then let it run WU. It showed that full screen warning to upgrade to 10 so I guess everything should be ok on that side. I had downloaded a 64bit windows 10 iso from the media creation kit for my parents' laptop and used it on my desktop with only the boot ssd changed, I kept my hard disks connected & unplugged my newer ssd. I did the upgrade install from windows 7 itself and it performed the whole upgrade process. Windows 10 shows activated in settings and it is with key ending -*****. My one worry is that it didn't show "digital entitlement" like the laptop. My plan is (and hopefully will remain so, lol) to install RS1 RTM Pro and let it automatically activate instead of using Toolkit.

The following is what Toolkit displayed when I clicked check,

I hope everything is OK. Thank you all for trying to help btw.

edit: just an update. I clean installed TH2 Pro and it activated perfectly. It even says digital entitlement in the Activation page.