[Solved] Need Help Removing a program installed with a .exe

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Jeananna, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeananna

Jeananna MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2011
    Yep here is another newbie yelling help!

I got a new Gateway netbook ( LT23 ) in october and was soon unhappy that I couldn't change the background with windows 7 starter. I installed a program (sorry I can't seem to post a link to it from windows live) Starter Wallpaper Changer.exe, that was just a .exe file. It worked wonderfully till mid December when the IT guy at my husband's workplace said he could install 7 professional on it for me if he just took it in. Hubby took it in and forgot to tell the guy that I had added this program to it. Now I am unable to find it to remove it and I don't have a restore point left on the computer for before I installed the wallpaper changer to revert to. All I have is a lovely black screen.

Anyone have any ideas? I do not have a copy of 7 professional to just reset to factory settings and reinstall. We also don't have the option for my husband to just take it back to work and have the IT guy redo it since the next person to bring in a personal cpu brought one that had a nest of cockroaches in it and HR banned any one from bringing anything in for IT to work on again.

2. DrM!KEY

DrM!KEY MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2009
    Did you try this?

Click on the Start orb and into "Search ..." write "change desktop background" without the quotes and then press enter.

Then select the wallpaper(s) you want.

3. Jeananna

Jeananna MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2011
    DrM!key, yes I have tried that...that is how I noticed that the program was still running when it didn't change the picture. I tried to delete the download files and restarted then tried to change it again and still the same. Then I deleted the picture, restarted again and now a black screen. Apparently its actual name is not the same as the file name they had on the download so I can't figure out where it went. Also I am computer savvy enough to get myself in trouble and not be able to get myself back out of it!

4. DrM!KEY

DrM!KEY MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2009
    If you set a background to a picture, then delete the picture, sometimes it turns the background black.
    Did you try uninstalling the program that you previously installed?

5. Jeananna

Jeananna MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2011
    the program didn't have a uninstall feature...it was just a .exe file, so I can't figure out where it went to delete it.

6. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009

Attached Files:

• SWC.PNG
      SWC.PNG
      File size:
      11.8 KB
      Views:
  7. DrM!KEY

DrM!KEY MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2009
    Yeah, I just tried that same program and it appears that it does not change anything other than setting the wallpaper.
    If it is deleted, its gone. If you still have it you can try to press restore to get the permissions reset and then delete it.

8. Jeananna

Jeananna MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2011
    Cra2y, that is the program. I did as you suggested and after checking in the folder it had loaded to and I had already deleted it out of I did the *.exe scan....and again found nothing. Still had a black screen though. So I downloaded the program again, set it to a new pic, logged off and back on then restored and logged off again and NOW IT WORKS! I am not sure what the deal is since I have already done this 3 times over the past couple of days, but I must have not done something right the first 3 times and just did something right the 4th. I feel really stupid that it worked after finally deciding I needed to ask for help.
    Big thanks to both you and DrM!key for the suggestions!

9. CRA2YHAVOK

CRA2YHAVOK MDL Senior Member

Oct 23, 2009
    @Jeananna

No problem, glad you got it sorted in the end :)