[SOLVED] Need Help...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mmtrt, Dec 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmtrt

mmtrt MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2010
    Well recently I installed ubuntu 10.04 version with windows installer inside in cd iso with my windows xp pro, the installing of linux is compeleted but pc rebooted when pc starts and I select ubuntu in os selection on startup then grub boot is showing windows 7 loader no ubuntu options like ubuntu, ubuntu recovery mode but windows 7 is not installed at this time and was installed long time ago. when I press enter on that option then nothing happens but returns to the os selection...
    Don't know what to do might be hidden partition is connected with windows 7 loader problem or something else is there???
    Need some helpo_O

Regards
    mmtrt

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 Daz, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    That sometimes happens with Ubuntu and GRUB.

Easiest option may be to insert your Windows 7 DVD and select startup repair. I would then recommend using EasyBCD once the Windows boot manager has been restored so that you can once again boot Ubuntu.

Side note: If your Windows 7 partition is activated with a loader then you will probably need to reinstall the loader.

*Edit*
    If the startup repair option fails then select command prompt and use the following.
    Code:
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mmtrt

mmtrt MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2010
    #3 mmtrt, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks for replying daz will check it with easyBCD when I download it...

well windows 7 is not installed to any partition I installed long time ago but how can be repair with win7 dvd but its loader is showing in grub not in my default boot parameters it is showing my xp pro the ubuntu no windows 7 loader but when I enter option 2 ubuntu it is showing windows 7 loader...

I think my problem is with the partitions I have three partitions,
    Partition 1 c:\ which is showing (System) in diskmangement and no os on this partition but have my boot files like boot.ini, Partition 2 d:\ xp installed on this partition and it is showing (Boot) in diskmangement not as primary (system) but as it should have to be,
    Partition 3 e:\no os have but I installed ubuntu in this partition.

I checked with EasyBCD it is showing like this

(There is one entry in the Windows bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
    Timeout: 30 seconds
    Boot Drive: C:\

Entry #1
    Name: Windows 7
    BCD ID: {default}
    Drive: D:\
    Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe)

Now what should I do?

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 Daz, Dec 14, 2010
    Ah, in that case when removing Windows 7 it's left the BCD behind.

You could try deleting all entries and deleting bootmgr and the BCD folder from Ubuntu and then run the following command to rebuild the menu:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Or
    Code:
    sudo update-grub2
    Or
    Code:
    gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Or
    Code:
    gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.cfg
    One of the above will either rebuild the menu or it will allow you to remove the Windows 7 entry.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mmtrt

mmtrt MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2010
    #5 mmtrt, Dec 15, 2010
    (OP)
    Should I try this, but my pc is not booting any os now OMG I just reset BCD configuration and selected normal boot from msconfig and on pc boot showing invalid os boot.... now im replying from my bro pc
    can I fix my boot from xp cd in recovery mod via command to do it like (bootcfg \rebuild) or any other option...
    Last time I removed ubuntu because it was showing only windwos 7 loader not ubuntu in grub and so have only xp but not booting after selecting normal boot option via msconfig...

Can I attempt repair installation of xp pro from (vlk/vol) version disk but I have applied OEM files of HP to my current os will this work?

OR

Attempt to fix boot.ini via recovery mode?

Well tried xp cd but it is not detecting my installed os and not showing 'R' to repair via recovery mod...

Sorry about the mess

6. mmtrt

mmtrt MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2010
    My Problem is Fixed and fully resolved....

Thank you Daz and MDL :worthy:

7. jlgager

jlgager MDL Developer

Oct 30, 2009
    @mmtrt now that this is solved can you please rename the thread with [SOLVED] in front of it. To do this double click on the name on the Windows 7 section.
    @Daz can you please close this thread please. :)
    Thanks Guys!!!