[SOLVED] Network Troubleshooting Error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TONPumper, Nov 17, 2013.

1. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    #1 TONPumper, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    Whenever I try to troubleshoot my network connection, I get a error Window with a code of 0x80004005:

Untitled.jpg

I noticed that my internet was slow so I tried to troubleshoot and got the message above. I've tried virus scans, MBR Re-generator, Windows AIO Repair, and searching the issue online but found nothing. I just did a repair on my network drivers, but I'm still getting the issue.

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
  3. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm using Windows 7 x64 SP1. I installed a TAP driver on a VM to test it and found an unknown device on my physical system. When I uninstalled the unknown device on the physical computer, that's when the problem started.

I tried deleted the VM and uninstalling the program but I still could not troubleshoot my connection. I did a clean boot but that didn't work either. I also reinstalled the VM with the same OS and settings to try and reproduce the unknown device on my physical computer, but now the driver will not install at all (on the VM nor on my physical computer).

I disabled and uninstalled my AV but the error still occurred. I ran sfc /scannow but it didn't find any errors. I've even registering all of the dll files in my system folders but that didn't work either.

I cannot do a system restore because I disabled it. I did this because I noticed when I installed Windows, my computer was very slow. After running many cleaning and antimalware tools, I--somehow--decided to try turning off my system restore, which made my computer faster in a matter of seconds.

I checked my environment variable and it LOOKS okay. I don't really look at it enough to know what it should look like; however, it seems to be normal.

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    My Draconian approach: wipe your drive, reinstall the OS, tweak the OS, make a System Image and store it in a safe place. System Imaging is a "One and Done" sort of thing in that once completed it doesn't run in background. Maybe make a couple of them.

That or maybe try an OS repair install. Of course if your only problem is the error message, and your system is running fine, you might just live with it.

5. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    What would I run in the repair install?

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Just one suggestion among several. If something is not working properly in your system, and you can't fix it after multiple attempts, maybe it's time to start over. Before you wipe your drive (if you do), try a repair install. It may not work, but that's true of everything else you're tried so far.

7. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I ended up solving the issue. The environment variable was in the wrong location.

8. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Unfortunately, while I may have solved the troubleshooting error, it seems that all of my temp files are now going to the C:\Windows\temp folder. However, when I try to change TEMP/TMP in my user variables to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp, I can't troubleshoot. Anyone know of a solution?

9. TONPumper

TONPumper MDL Member

Jan 2, 2011
    I know the cause of the problem! I was doing some customizing to my start menu in Windows 7 Manager. I made a few adjustments and had to restart explorer.exe with each change. After about the 3rd or 4th restart, the problem came back. Now the only question is how to fix the problem.