[Solved] Nvidia installs everything, despite un-clicking

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ThomasMann, Nov 4, 2017.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I updated my Nvidia Graphics Driver and unclicked EVERYTHING, except that driver and asked for Clean Installation. And what happens? the same as always: EVERY garbage, even telemetry is installed...

What is the best way to do deal with this? They have been doing this for years and I am sick and tired of it!

Thanks...

2. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Extract the driver and delete all folders except Display.Driver and NVI2. (PhysX folder is optional, keep it if you wanna use that feature. Same for HDAudio, keep it if you use audio from your HDMI port)

Untitled.png

Then run setup.exe

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Pretty sure OP has been explained to about the methods to avoid this before, I have definitely already posted the extraction and folder deletion method....

5. steinom

steinom MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2008
    Handy information, did not know we just could deleate unvanted folder from Nvidia driver install pack.
    Would suspect that to cause error..

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    What is the world coming to when you have to protect yourself from first your operating system (10) and now drivers! :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Installer2

Old NVIDIA driver installers ^^ Can take up a lot of storage if not cleaned for a while

8. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Thank You, got exactly what your example shows.
    Will the setup.exe uninstall everything NVidia that is already installed on my computer, or do I uninstall that first? THere is tons of it! (If I uninstall first, will the display keep on working?)

Thanks

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Trust me, you have no idea what this world will be coming to during your lifetime...

10. BrokenDaily

BrokenDaily MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2017
    I deleted everything (to recycle bin) in this folder, and while it did save some space, it showed in programs and features only 2 or 3 nvidia products installed; is this normal, will it impact any future nvidia updates (at least ones that won't be a pain to fix) that I install?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    If i were you, i'd use DDU to uninstall everything and then run setup.exe

12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you, worked perfectly...
    I then tried the Telemetry removal software Tito recommended, and it could not find anything.

13. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    No it won't affect anything, only difference will be when you install the next new driver, the nvidia installer will show no version numbers for currently installed driver but it will still upgrade fine

14. BrokenDaily

Jun 14, 2017
    So I can just click Express install or just customize the install and everything will work fine, is what you're saying

Nice to know

15. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I always do custom and it works fine, yea the installer looks in that folder to see what version of what is already installed, so without anything in there it just says nothing is installed, makes no difference to the install itself, installs / updates fine

16. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    This is the custom install I use on all my computers, works great every time.

upload_2017-11-5_14-55-46.png

17. BrokenDaily

Jun 14, 2017
    one more thing, after updating nvidia to latest stable driver available, nvidia seems to be downloading updates to geforce experience without my permission, even though I set my hosts file to block updates after researching and finding a topic on nvidia forums

i use this entry in my hosts file: 0.0.0.0 services.gfe.nvidia.com

is this mean to still work, did I set the ip entry wrong, has nvidia/windows bypassed this blocking function, I don't know, help would be nice

18. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    • DDU should only be used in case of troubles installing a new driver, this is notr a commom util for removing leftofters/drivers. The setup.exe and his removal is for 99% of all people fine.
    • Quadro drivers don't have any telemtry or geforceexperience, you can mod your own inf or download them from my github repository and install the driver. There will be no difference except that there mostly not as new as 'game ready' drivers.
    • Unchecking the toggles does work fine at my end.
    • nVidia should't be blocked via hosts otherwise you also block the profile updater which is kind of useful.
    • Removing the folders like telemetry,... still works, my batch file to automate this process is on my GitHub gists.

19. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    For those that get an error while trying to run setup after deleting unwanted stuff.
    There is now three more extra files needed.

In my case it is:

\GFExperience\PrivacyPolicy\PrivacyPolicy_en-US.htm
    \GFExperience\EULA.html
    \GFExperience\FunctionalConsent_en-US.txt