[Solved] OK now, GAME MODE, yeah! No, not really...

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MonarchX, Apr 11, 2017.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    MS stated that Game Mode works on all games, not just the ones in MS App Store like Gears of War. There is an Xbox monitoring service set to ManuAl (on demand) by default and it is supposed to monitor games. Well, it never starts unless you manually start it and even the it shuts itself off quickly.

So how does this Game Mode work? What does it change in registry? Can it be somehow proven or witnessed Windows 10 OS acts differently with Game Mode ON VS. OFF???

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Are filling the board by yourself?

3. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Apparently he is...

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Seems to work okay on fallout 4.
    Use xbox button or win+g to bring up the menu and then go to settings and choose game mode.
    Game mode must be enabled in the windows settings gaming ui (one with the different options for hardware, applications, updates, etc)
    It was enabled by default on a clean install for me. Just had to go into game and turn on game mode.

It seemed to help game performance, but I have no idea how much.

5. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    #5 MonarchX, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    (OP)

Game mode is enabled for everyone - don't know what other thing you're talking about - there is just one place to enable/disable it.

EDIT: Oh, I got it! I didn't realize I had to pull up the bar! Not only its there, but it actually heklps quite a big in one game so far - Resident Evil 7!

6. damianfox

damianfox MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    It seems Enterprise N doesn't have game mode, the Gaming icon is missing in Settings

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. peter0010

peter0010 MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2014
    You have to install the feature pack first then you'll be able to use game mode on N versions

8. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    so does this mean that if I uninstall the XBOX app which I have no use for, Gaming Mode won't work properly?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    I would love to know too. So far it seems to disable background apps, some services, basically everything people can do themselves. I am sure, it helps to default Windows setup.

10. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Lots of people can't do this by themselves though. Yes even gamers.

11. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Boy new forums are nice!

At OCN forums people report that Game Mode forces games into Borderless Window Mode in order for it to work as Overlay. They also say it may cause stutters, BUT it can be disabled by right-clicking on .exe or shortcut and removing FullScreen Optimizations in Compatibility tab. I have not encountered anything other than some improved responsiveness from games in Game Mode, but I hope they expand the list because there is a concrete list of games it support and it can be found in a .BIN file in Windows directory, although I have no idea how to open it... For example, I cannot get Game Bar to show up in Alien Isolation.

12. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    It doesn't force the game into borderless windowed mode.

13. iFlaX

iFlaX MDL Senior Member

Apr 10, 2015
    The fact that game mode when ticked in settings actually isn't on untill you enable it yet another time through the game bar, is so incredibly stupid. Many gamers want as Little overlays as possible that hooks in to the games since it can cause problems, and is annoying.