[SOLVED, OR AT LEAST EXPLAINED] Need help with zombie background apps

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JBenal, Jun 27, 2017.

1. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I have background apps turned off, yet three apps continue to run in the background - store, calculator and settings. I could maybe understand this if I had used those apps during the day, but they are running in the background when I boot my computer. I can kill them through Task Manager, but they come back. Is there any way to really stop them from running in the background?

background2.png background.jpg

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dmex

dmex MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2011
    #2 dmex, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    EDIT: This method no longer works :|

3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Try putting them on manual:

In Poweshell (Admin) enter
    services.msc

Under General > Startup type select Manual.

4. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Thanks, but these are apps, not services.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Take your mouse and scroll to the top left corner and highlight the windows icon AKA Start Menu icon and right click on your mouse. Then scroll down and click on run. Once the run window is open type: msconfig

Once in MsConfig go to Startup Tab and Open Task Manager.

You should see a list now of everything windows loads on startup, Now highlight with mouse to what ever program in windows startup that you do not wish to load when your system boots up and at the bottom right corner of the window and click disable.

Hope that Helps!!!!

6. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    These apps aren't in the startup menu using Task Manager or autoruns. Doesn't anyone else have these apps running in the background?

7. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I have the settings xbox app and store running in the background by them selfs sometimes ;)

8. Feniksrising

Feniksrising MDL Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Windows 10 runs a lot of useless crap in the background. Most people won't care or notice but that's why I run Enterprise LTSB.

I suppose it doesn't matter if you have 8 or more Gb of RAM to work with but I have a HTPC that needs to be clean and smooth and I hate bloatware on any device. I cringe every time when I'm on a computer that runs win10 home and isn't optimized, I don't know how folks can live with it.

9. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009