[Solved] PC not booting with nvidia gtx 1070

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by alextheg, Apr 30, 2017.

1. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @alextheg

AFAIK, the transitional beta UEFI firmwares on few Sandy Bridge Gigabyte mobos have some known incompatibilities with the NVIDIA card's GOP.

4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    That's not good news ! Any suggestions Tito ?

5. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Well im happy to confirm that switching the PCI ROM to legacy mode worked . This however is still a frustration but at least its working now. It would be good if Gigabyte were to address situations like this and release a newer BIOS / UEFI firmware. Thanks for the suggestions folks :)

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Good news, but yea I'm with you in terms of motherboard age (ASUS Crosshair V Formula), my last BIOS was released in 2012 too, unlikely we'll ever see a new BIOS released

There are some customs kicking about with updated instructions for mine, but they break other things

Time for a board / chip upgrade next

7. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Yeah im considering an upgrade myself, some fairly good motherboard bundles around for sensible money. Like you i dont see an update coming my way !

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Well, considering 5 years is considered ancient in terms of computer hardware, we're doing OK :D

9. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    You're not wrong there. Hoping i'll able to sell the stuff i have right now for a reasonable amount.

10. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Ah, as long as it's all working 100% you should get a fair chunk back, best way I found is to save up the full amount for the new build and buy that first, then anything you get back from the old build to take the sting out of the new build price is a bonus

Rather than building your hopes for the new build on the price you're hoping to get back off the old one, then being massively short and disappointed when you still need to find 50%

Plus you don't end up without a machine for a stint that way either

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #13 Joe C, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
    very good Idea, but what I did for my wife's pc, Because she had a i7 2600 too (X58 board), was to buy one piece at a time, first the board, then the CPU and then memory.
    Then saving up to get an NMVe drive to replace that old platter drive. She's very happy with the new pc now except the school employee web portal won't recognize her new pc and she has to have that taken care of. All in all it took about 6 or 7 months total for an i5 6600K and 16gb ram, 250gb NVMe samsung with Windows 7 Pro
    I upgraded the Cooler Master 912 case with new fans and USB 3.0 ports on the front and updated that 9 yr old power supply from a Corsair TX 650 to a new TX 650..... which turned out to be another issue

12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #14 Joe C, May 1, 2017
    The "newer" TX 650 TX power supply from Corsair had it's issues. It had a very loud "clicking" type of sound until a very loud fan kicked in. This psu was advertised as a "quiet" psu with a bronze rating but it was anything as "quiet", While the fan was off, it made this annoying "clicking" noise, then when the fan kicked on, the click vanished but the fan was very loud. After some on line research, I've found that the fault was this 140mm fan. I replaced the fan (because Corsair denied me any warranty options) and with a fan that runs with at a lower RPM this power supply now runs very quiet, no clicks or loud fan sounds. I actually tried to re-purpose this orginal psu fan as a case fan but it was like a 767 getting ready for take-off, so I modified the molex connector for 7 volts, no change. I then attempted to modify this to 5 volts and still this fan sounded like a jet ready for take off. I now know that Corsair has totally failed in admitting that their TX650 psu's have faulty fans. This fan is useless for any kind of purpose except those that are deaf, and loud pc's would not be an issue for them

[rant] end [/rant]

13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    To Joe C strange dude because I also have one PSU Corsair that I bought in last november and until now I don't listen none noise (same with cooler of cpu) so I need see little led's flashing on my case and gpu (also have little led) I think that my machine is dead without kidding! still is very rare issues with reputed company but sometimes can happen unfortunately ;)

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #16 Joe C, May 1, 2017
  15. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Fan bearings shot to bits IMHO.

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    on a new power supply?
    Just a bad fan.... it works, just very loud air movement kinda loud, not bearings type of sound. That clicking noise is from the fan controller, it's trying to start the fan but the fan has too much resistance to start at a lower voltage. I installed a 140mm fan that had specs to start at 3.5 v and it's working as everything should now

17. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    To Joe C lol I see this anoiyng noise of video no with Psu's but with Cpu's once :eek::rolleyes: but I'm happy that you solved issue :)

18. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i suggest a bigger power supply....that GPU requires a lot of power.