[Solved] Pinch to zoom quit working after installing Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by JBenal, Jul 6, 2014.

1. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I installed Windows 8.1 enterprise on my Dell Inspiron 17R yesterday. Everything seems to be working great, except for one thing. I just noticed that pinch to zoom is no longer working via the touchpad. I came to rely on this feature quite a bit when running Windows 7. There are no issues in device manager, but under Mice it shows PS/2 compatible mouse instead of Synaptics touchpad. Any idea how to correct this and get my pinch to zoom back. Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Super User

Super User MDL Addicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Download Synaptics drivers from Dell.

3. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I did that (Touchpad_Synaptics_W8.14_X00_A01_Setup-X8HNX_ZPE), but device manager still shows PS/2 mouse and pinch is still not working.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Super User

Super User MDL Addicted

Jun 26, 2012
    Maybe you should try downloading drivers from Synaptics then.:)

5. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    First time I installed the Dell driver nothing changed. Next I went through device manager and updated the driver by pointing to the specific inf file. Now device manager shows Dell Touchpad, instad of PS/2 mouse, but pinch still not working.

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    go to touchpad settings and find the place where to activate it

7. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Praise the lord and pass the ammunition - it's working! Just had to get the right driver from Dell - er... Alps driver, not Synaptics. :eek:
    Thanks again for the helps.

8. kbman

kbman MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2012
    I feel your pain JBenal, I hate when they ask you to type in the model number like 4400nmx and still show all the drivers for the 4000 series instead of that specific build. They end up having 10 different devices for lan or touchpad etc... then you have to either take a guess or try and google the device by hardware id just to download the correct driver.

9. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I'm going to do something I should have done before I installed 8.1 - take a hardware inventory of my system and save it for "next time". :p

10. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Go to mfg site, d/l all drivers etc. to have on hand, just in case. I have found this very helpful.