[Solved] Please help, Windows will not start after bios update.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by passion4tech, Feb 7, 2016.

1. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    I am in a pickle guys. Windows 7 will not start after flashing bios update twice. 1st time through windows 7 and 2nd time through bios. I flashed the latest bios for my motherboard, H97I-PLUS, bios update 2703. My computer will boot up to bios just fine, my computer just won't start windows 7 for some strange reason. After I flashed the H97I-PLUS BIOS 2703, I got a message from American Megatrends to restore bios settings and I pressed F1 to restore bios settings. I know I flashed the bios update properly and I don't understand why windows 7 won't start anymore. Do I need to flash an older bios update, if yes, which bios update?

Here are my computer specs. Just in case people need to know.
    Case: Corsair Graphite Series 380T
    CPU: i7 4790k 4.00GHz Quad Core
    Motherboard: Asus H97I-Plus
    Ram: 8GB
    Hard Drives: 500GB HDD and 120 GB SSD Kingston
    Power Supply: Corsair RM650 Watt (Modular)
    Video Card: MSI R9 280X Twin Frozr 3GB GDDR5
    Water Cooler: Corsair H60 CPU water cooler
    Monitor: Acer H257HU

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    see if you can boot safemode .. sounds like acpi config changed drastically and windows needs major fix or reinstall.
    or simple fix .. set sata mode to ahci or ide.. test

3. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Check to make sure your boot device order (and for that matter any bios settings) hasn't changed.

4. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    I'd really like a better description of just exactly what "Windows won't start anymore" means :confused:

Personally I do the USB method of plashing vs. doing a (live type) ?? Just never had any luck doing it the other way. If I were running down the problem the first thing I'd do is disconnect everything from the MOBO except the OS drive. That means DVD drive, card readers, other HDDs, Case USB ports etc. Check to make sure the SATA cable from the OS drive is connected to the #1 port on the MOBO.

Boot up the PC pressing Delete to get into the BIOS, goto Exit/Advanced Mode, Advanced Mode then Optimized Defaults (F5) Load optimized Defaults, Save and reset. (Yes) then F10 to Save Config. and Reset. (Yes) The PC should restart and Windows starts. Hopefully

Not knowing exactly what Your problem is ? If Windows doesn't start, then You'll have to try booting into safemode

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. passion4tech

passion4tech MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2014
    Yeah the culprit was the sata controller. I fixed the problem by selecting RAID. I only selected IDE and AHCI, never RAID. Now windows boots like normal again. Thank you guys for your help.