[SOLVED] Purchasing $10 Pro Pack keys...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by SolidSonicTH, Apr 19, 2014.

1. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH MDL Member

May 16, 2011
    #1 SolidSonicTH, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    Is there a way to avoid paying $100 for a Pro Pack key for a 8.1 Core installation? I'm willing to do a legitimate upgrade but not pay the $100 entry fee if it can be avoided.

Can you buy multiple Pro Pack keys from a single non-Media Center 8.1 Pro installation?

2. Windows8.1

Windows8.1 MDL Junior Member

Apr 14, 2014
    I guess you have dialed the wrong number.:smoking: Though let me try to answer your question, if you are trying to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro WMC your only option is to pay that 3 digits number and why would you need to buy multiple pro pack keys unless you wish to resell it? :confused:

3. SolidSonicTH

SolidSonicTH MDL Member

May 16, 2011
    #3 SolidSonicTH, May 14, 2014
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    (OP)
    Time to follow up on this because now I need to know if I boxed myself into a corner:

I went to someone else's computer and purchased a $10 Media Center key. No fuss. Turns out these don't directly upgrade an 8.1 core version (which is weird but whatever; guess there is no beating the system).

So I've since used generic keys to upgrade myself to an unactivated Win 8.1 Pro w/Media Center but attempting to integrate my legitimate key with the system won't work and it says the key is only for upgrading, not clean installs. Since I DID upgrade to Media Center with a generic key technically it shouldn't quibble that I'm just trying to change it to a different key but...yeah, it ain't going.

So do I need to reinstall Windows now or is there some other way to feed it this key I have?

EDIT: I fixed it! Not sure if I can post my solution because I got it from another forum (and this may be related to that patched data.dat method so I can't guarantee it's a solution that'll stick if you attempt it down the line) but replacing the "store" folder in ...\System32\spp allowed me to inject my legit WMC key into the system and then I simply phoned in to fully activate it.

Glorious, now I have a copy of Win 8.1 Pro with Media Center on my Ultrabook that only cost me $10...

EDIT 2: Okay, it looks like I followed the directions in this thread by accident without realizing it: 49539-Windows-8-1-Pro-WMC-generic-activation-tokens-creation

So if you want a $10 copy of Win 8.1, just visit that thread.