[SOLVED] [Q] How can I mod my (v)BIOS to accept a Maxwell core (GTX960m)?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by SAA1, Dec 8, 2016.

1. SAA1

SAA1 MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2016
    #1 SAA1, Dec 8, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Hello, I've been planning to swap the GPU on my Acer Aspire V3-771g from a GT 650m to a GTX 960m, and have finally got all the tools needed as well as a GTX 960m GPU core.

I consider myself very good at the hardware side of electronics, but I'm not particulary adept at software-related things.

My problem is that the vBIOS is configured for a Kepler core (NVIDIA 6**m series), and the new core is of Maxwell architecture. This particular notebook were never made with any Maxwell GPUs, so it won't work with the stock BIOS, as far as I've understood.

Its successor, the Aspire V3-772g apparently came with Maxwell support, but they're obviously not the same computer so flashing that BIOS on my notebook would likely brick it.

My online research suggest that only flashing the vBIOS may be needed for this to work, but seeing as I'm all new to the world of BIOS modifications I may be wrong. For all I know it may even work with stock BIOS, but I doubt it.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as to how I can modify my BIOS to accept a GTX 960m GPU.

I hope someone here knows enough on this subject and are willing to share some wisdom.

**I have too low post count to provide links, but if anyone wants to take a look at the BIOSes of these two notebooks, they are easily available at Acers website.

Nevermind. After conflicting results in Speccy and GPU-Z about what my actual vRAM configuration is, I opened up my notebook to see what was actually installed on the motherboard. Turns out it use DDR3 and not GDDR5 as Speccy said, meaning that the 960m won't be compatible anyways.