[Solved] Re-installing of Vista Home Premium.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by old_school_Gamer, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_school_Gamer

old_school_Gamer MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2014
    Hi all, 1st post as a new member :)

Anyways, my desktop pc has vista Home Premium installed legitimately. What i want to/going to do is do a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate using a loader form here. BUT what i want to know, and sorry if its a noobish question, if, for some odd reason i could not install windows 7. Could i re-install Vista home premium using an un-touched .ISO, and simply write my key from the side of my tower, and use it to register Vista again?

The main reason i ask, is because i thought the key can only be used once?
    Or can i re-use the key on the same system as long as its a fresh install?

Thanks for any information any one gives me. I just want a back up plan in case something goes wrong lol.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. old_school_Gamer

Mar 8, 2014
    Hi Tito, thanks for the welcome mate :)

OEM COA Keys:
    * OEM COA keys (Certificate of Authentication) are regular OEM keys that require activation, either by phone or online and they are not brand specific.
    (you will find the sticker with the key underneath you Laptop or on the side of you PC)
    * These keys will work in general same as Retail or Upgrade keys and can be used only once.

So basically once i have done a fresh install (wiped hdd clean) i cant even re-use it? damn. Fingers crossed i get Windows 7 installed and activated and updateable with no problems... touching wood haha.
    Again thanks for pointing that thread out.

4. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Not correct. You can reinstall Vista using your OEM key - you can use it on that system as many times as you need (but only that system - OEM licenses are not transferable to other systems)

After a few activations the internet based activation may fail and you will need to phone M$ to get them to manually activate it (quoting numbers)

but tbh, Vista sucks.

5. old_school_Gamer

Mar 8, 2014
    I know it dose! trust me lol. The pc was given to me lol. Thanks, now im even more at ease to know that mate. I cant see why i would have any problems installing and activating Windows 7 Ultimate, but never say never i guess lol.

Again thanks Threat :)

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You missed the point. OEM:SLP activation is completely offline.

7. old_school_Gamer

Mar 8, 2014
    Will it work? haha. Ah well if it don't, not all bad lol.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yes it will work reinstall vista and use Daz loader it will only install OEM:SLP key and certificate for you brand on machine, because you have SLIC 2.0 in your bios you will pre-activate off-line no need to be connected to the Net :rolleyes:

9. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    #9 Palladin, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    The safest way to proceed would be to image your current setup. You can use Acronis or if you have a Western Digital or Seagate hard drive, they both offer OEM versions of Acronis at no charge, as in free. There are other programs that will do the same thing, i.e. Macrim Reflect.

I'm assuming that you have one large partition now as your C: boot drive. If you have some empty space then you can shrink the boot volume and create another Data drive (D)

To do this start up Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management. Right click your boot drive, and select Shrink Volume. Depending on how much stuff you have on C: will determine how much you can shrink it. For this example, lets assume you have a 500GB drive with 300GB free. Vista should let you shrink the volume by at least 150GB. If you have a larger drive, so much the better.

Once you shrink the drive, set up the free space, and do a quick format of the new drive. This is where you will keep the images of your original Vista setup and the incremental images of your Windows 7 setup. It might look something like this:

disk-layout.jpg

Then you can create a directory structure for your data files. Probably easiest just to drag your entire MY Documents folder from the C: to D: you can also copy any other data files that might be stored elsewhere on your C: to backup Drive D. Getting the all the data files off the C drive keeps it small and manageable. You can always put them back if you want. I've always stored all the data on D: and only the programs and operating system on C:

When I did mine, I made an image of my Vista setup, then booted off a spare hard drive, and formatted the C: Vista drive. Then you can install Windows 7 from the DVD on a blank formatted C:, or you can just boot off the Win 7 DVD and install it directly over the Vista installation. You will probably have to re-install most if not all of your software, so I'd just let Windows do a clean installation. I've never had much luck with the Upgrade route.

Once Win-7 is installed, create a base image. Then run Windows Update and there will be over 100 of them. Once that is done, make another image of C: and then install your software, and make another image. When everything is up and running the way you want it, make a final image. Then install Daz;s loader and make a final-final image. Here's what it might look like.

backup-layout-1.jpg

Sounds like a lot of work? Maybe. But the initial images won't take but 10 minutes to make. And by doing incremental images, you can always go back one step, rather than having to re-do the entire setup. No need to worry about the serial number stuff, just restore the entire image. Notice that the final size of the image with Windows 7 installed, all the updates, and all the software installed, is only 6GB (compressed), and only takes up 15GB on the hard disk.

Of course none of this is necessary if you are sure that you can do all of this and not make any mistakes along the way. :rolleyes:

That's how I did mine. Hope this helps.

10. old_school_Gamer

Mar 8, 2014
    Thanks for the info Palladin. I shall properly read it tomo as its now very late lol. Before i do anything, i have just over 100GB of files to back up (pics,music,videos) and sadly i have only just found out my power plug to my external HDD is broke. Got to buy a new one and wait for it to come lol.

But i would like to thank you all for the help you have all given to me :)

11. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    You are very welcome, and may I suggest while you are in the reading mood, you go over to the Windows Loader Forum and spend some time reading that thread. It's stickied at the top of the forum, Windows Loader, Support and Chat. It's 1700 pages long, and while some say it's too long to read, I figured if Daz, Urie, Tito, and Capt Kirk can take the time to read and reply to the 1700 messages, I can read them. And I did. Every last one of them (ok, I did skip a few :biggrin:) .

It took a couple of days, and when I was done, I was able to complete the entire process without any problems.

Good luck.

12. old_school_Gamer

Mar 8, 2014
    Like i said i now have to wait a couple of days for the power plug to arrive, so yea read i shall lol. I had a brief look in the the other day. But a full read is in motion lol.
    Cheers mate. I shall update my OP once ive done it, hopefully on my fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate lol.

Cheers.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ old_school_Gamer, not that old :D look at my avatar. First one was Commodore C 16 :p spoilt had a whole 16 kilobytes of RAM. Nearly had a Vic 20 :D

14. old_school_Gamer

Mar 8, 2014
    haha, i didnt know what user name ot use, at the time of creating my account on here i was playing Sonic The Hedgehog haha.
    But not that far back your right :p

15. old_school_Gamer

Mar 8, 2014
    #15 old_school_Gamer, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
    (OP)
    Well guys, after spending 3-4 hours backing up my data, today i updated my pc from Vista > Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 AND activated it with NO problems :) Used what the instructions said on theCommon questions and answers

thread, using IE to check the validation and boom im all good to go...

Thanks for all your comments and help people. Much appreciated :rolleyes::)

P.S: Admin feel free to close this thread if you like :)