[Solved] Red card for Google

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by x86, Jul 15, 2011.

1. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #1 x86, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
    Recently I tried registering a new GMail account. Found an available userID, filled in all the info, verified a very difficult captcha (that took me half minute to read :hypo:), clicked on the "I accept" stuff and ... wtf - I got the following message:

I was actually presented with two options - either verify by phone or by SMS, which in both cases as you d imagine, I had to supply them with a phone number! Excuse me - did I miss something here? Since when am I to provide such confidential data in order to activate what is supposed to be a free service? What "unusual activity"? There was nothing unusual - just a simple registration. At the bottom of the page was another message:

Now that's comforting.

I know Google is trying to cut down on the amount of spammers out there, but this isn't the way to go. This is total breach of privacy and a highly unethical approach that IMO if someone was to be the first to go down that path - it would be M$. Didn't expect that from Google.

Does anyone know a way around this, so that I won't have to give them a phone number or call their technical support to activate 'manually'?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    That's strange. Have you already tried before to register an account? Or do you share your PC with somebody who has registered an account using your PC?
    The only idea I have is that google has got your IP and compared.....or there is a server problem. There can't be an unusual activity with a account that hasn't been created yet.lol...
    I never would give them my phone number..I rather would drop that..this sux..and never forget: Google is a cool company (Android), but it is an US American company...USA world police....lol..
    I'd retry with a completely new registration...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    If i where on your place,dont give any one your phone number,if nothing works make a new account

4. MrKaon

MrKaon MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Your IP is locked up god knows for what use VPN

5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #5 x86, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
    (OP)
    I have registered quite a few GMail accounts in the past and was never asked to verify by phone. And the thing is that I want to grab that particular userID, so its probably now marked as 'unusual' whatever that means. Bugger. It sounds as if I m trying to activate Windows or something. Is there a Daz loader so that I can bypass GMail activation? :biggrin:

I am not going to give away my phone number - that's the only thing for sure ;)

I will try registering from a different IP i.e. use a different PC elsewhere and let you know what happens.

Thanks for the responses guys!

6. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #6 x86, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
    (OP)
    I finally managed to register the account ... without phone verification.

All I did is used my mobile to access a free WLAN (at a cafe shop) and everything went smoothly this time :)

So, if my IP range looks fishy to Google, why am I not having issues with my existing accounts. Wish I knew how these things work :confused:

7. half Man Half Biscuit

half Man Half Biscuit MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2011
    Yeah,i had the same problem.
    They wanted me to give some personal stuff like Phone number,but not with me GOOGLERS:eek:
    So i made the same like you,go in a cafe and send a phone number,works good;).
    Thats poop why do i have to give someone my phone number to register?
    I needed a different Google account so i could get a sign in in a different place:p

MY ADVISE NEVER GIVE PERSONAL STUFF TO ANYBODY,EXPECT A HOT SEXY WOMAN:eek: lolol

8. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    That is so much right :D