[Solved] Remove obsolete driver entries in windows update?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Deleted member 1032214, Sep 20, 2018.

hi i've a question.
    if i use onboard graphic and run the update then it shows driver (not installed it) for my onboard graphic,

but if i insert graphic card then update still shows driver for my onboard graphic as well for my graphic card.

and that shouldn't be the case and update only should show driver for current graphic (graphic card).
    (yes i've tested it, and if i use graphic card in w10 from start then it doesn't show drivers for my onboard graphic)

in this scenario ques is, how to remove those obsolete driver entries in windows update?
    tags @abbodi1406

1. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    hmm, if I delete everything in c:\windows\softwaredistribution then windows update history disappears for me :p

2. thanks.. :) will test it.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. janos666

janos666 MDL Member

Feb 25, 2012
    It depends on your BIOS/UEFI Setup settings.

If you have the integrated GPU enabled manually (always on) or the Auto option decides to enable it (even in the presence of a discrete GPU) you or Windows Update should install the drivers for both (you can actually utilize the integrated GPU for something useful, like encoding high quality videos in the background while the discrete GPU is busy with a video game in the foreground, etc).

If the integrated GPU is not present in the Device Manager (not even as "unknown device") then yes, Windows Update should stop trying to install drivers for it.
    I think I saw "stuck" driver updates when WU already started installing the driver but got interrupted by a shutdown and the device was removed/disabled before the next boot. I guess the easiest way is enabling the integrated GPU again, letting WU do it's thing and then disabling the integrated GPU again (not necessary though, it's usually fine to leave it enabled).

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    weird, it always works for me, gets rid of all driver entries that windows update might have downloaded......you might have to stop the windows update service though first and then reboot........after deleting everything in the folder then you can always reenable

7. Paulsen

Paulsen MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2011
  8. Solved-

in device manager i enabled hidden devices and uninstalled hidden "Microsoft basic display driver" and checked the update and now obsolete graphic driver entry is gone. :):Lighten: