[Solved] Replace VAIO quick web access, aka splashtop os with *anything*..?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by tomval2k, Jan 18, 2014.

1. tomval2k

tomval2k MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    Hi,

My Sony laptop comes with 3 special buttons: "ASSIST", "WEB", and, "VAIO". From poweroff, "ASSIST" launches the Windows recovery partition and "WEB" launches the splashtop OS. The splashtop OS is actually located in the Windows partition at c:\splash.sys

What I would like to do is change it so that from poweroff when I press "WEB" the laptop boots straight into a different OS, rather than booting into splashtop or Windows.

I know I could just press the normal power button and select my OS of choice from a bootloader, but I want it my way. It is slicker, absolutely not worth the time and effort, and only I will get any tangible benefit.

I think it should be possible, after all, the laptop knows somehow to boot into the splashtop OS rather than windows when the "WEB" button is pressed, so I just want to change the target...somehow.

If anyone could give me some pointers that would be great, thanks!
    Tom

2. tomval2k

tomval2k MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    #3 tomval2k, Jan 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    That link might be handy, will give it a good read through a bit later.

I've been trying to experiment with c:\splash.idx as this file points to the directories c:\SPLASH.000\ & c:\SPLASH.SYS\
    contents of splash.idx:
    Code:
    root=UUID=CA4297374297276B defconf=en region=2057
    /SPLASH.SYS
    /SPLASH.000

I've got linux mint installed on my Windows partition at the moment, under c:\linuxmint\, and I was trying to point the file to it but all I succeeded in doing was to cause the BIOS to tell me that Quick Web Access wasn't installed, of course it might help if I had a proper install of a linux OS, but as my laptop disk is full I might have to put that onto an SD card for now.

I've had another idea of how I could maybe, (a big maybe), get this to work- could be that I place a .sqx archive in c:\splash.sys\ so that on boot, this file is run by splashtop os. This file could then execute a command to boot into another linux install. So I would be turning splashtop OS into a bootstrapper of sorts for a bigger + better OS.

Will see what I get to work, or break.

3. tomval2k

tomval2k MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    I've not had any luck with anything:
    • couldn't use c:\splash.idx to point to any other bootloader or OS, modifying this file causes a 'web access not found error'
    • removal or either c:\SPLASH.SYS\kernel.bin or c:\SPLASH.SYS\LTKNL.BIN result in 'web access not found error'
    • renaming a c:\SPLASH.SYS\*.sqx file causes a splashtop OS error
    • unpacking and repacking (with the same files OR different) *.sqx files also cause a splashtop OS error
    • removal of c:\SPLASH.000\, c:\SPLASH.SYS\persist\ just cause splashtop OS to go into read-only mode

What I have found out:
    • c:\splash.idx appears to be the boot config that is fetched by the BIOS when the 'WEB' button is pressed
    • inside c:\SPLASH.SYS\ are 36 .sqx files. These are squashfs archives, made using version 3.1.
    • c:\SPLASH.SYS\version is a file that seems to be referencing the squashfs archives...perhaps modifying this file is key.

The two errors I created when booting were distinct: 'web access not found' seemed to be an error message built into the BIOS; and 'splashtop OS error' is what I termed the error prompt from inside splashtop OS telling me to reboot.

If I can modify c:\SPLASH.SYS\version to point to updated squashfs archives I might have some success, otherwise I think I'll call it a day.

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i think the .000 is a signature for the .sys so its sorta game over.
    need to rewrite the rom module calling the function.. hard stuff

5. tomval2k

tomval2k MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    the .000 directory just enables persistence (ie saving of network settings, and maybe bookmarks) so removing that and entering a read-only mode is no drama

stboot looks like the way to go...might test that out in a little bit

I was trying to modify the c:\SPLASH.SYS\version - I've looked at the file with HxD and found a couple of things out:
    • first 16 bytes of file given to header: "_DeviceVM Inc._."
    • second 16 bytes of file given to date of create for version file
    then, repeating for each file:

• 32 bytes dedicated to file name
    • 16 bytes dedicated to date string in format YYYYMMDD
    • 16 bytes unknown (but with changeable values I don't understand)
    • 16 bytes for the MD5 of the file

I may have managed to change the date to something different without splashtop breaking, but inserting a different MD5 for a newly generated sfx archive caused failure within splashtop OS. But I was tired when I did this. The attachment just sort of shows what I said. The unknown 16 bytes I've highlighted if anyone wants to guess their purpose...

So onto stboot...

(and thanks for the links)

Attached Files:

6. tomval2k

tomval2k MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    stboot works, all I had to do was replace the file c:\SPLASH.SYS\LTKNL.BIN with CEFULL from stboot and it worked. Admittedly it only boots to my win 7 install for now, but once I have a proper linux install I should be able to insert my own custom MBR into the file so that I have one button on my laptop to boot windows, and one for linux

cheers,
    Tom

7. ASukrnet

ASukrnet MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2017
    HI , So how did you decide your question?