[Solved] Reserve Storage Bug/Problem

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by LiuBang, Dec 30, 2022.

1. LiuBang

LiuBang MDL Member

Oct 19, 2020
    #1 LiuBang, Dec 30, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  2. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LiuBang

LiuBang MDL Member

Oct 19, 2020
    i used to mount the VHD to capure the image from it
    seems i have to capture it using the same VM , i have to try this maybe that would fix the problem as i still didn't try it yet

4. LiuBang

LiuBang MDL Member

Oct 19, 2020
    #5 LiuBang, Jan 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2023
    (OP)
    i have to explain this , so that anyone gets in this bug may find this
    it wasn't sysprep
    there is a bug that happens in Windows 10 about the reserved storage
    first of all reserved storage settings are stored in registry in this location
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ReserveManager
    as shown in this screenshot
    Capture.PNG
    now
    the bug goes like this , if this key "ShippedWithReserves" is gone due to any reason (deleting it , removed while editing the windows image , removed in sysprep)
    the reserved storage is turned ON , which means these numbers up there next to "BaseSoftReserveSize" gets applied
    now what makes this a bug , is when you run CMD as an admin and write this command "DISM.exe /Online /Get-ReservedStorageState" you get the answer that is disabled , and that's where it gets f.... up
    now you think it's disabled , and then see this disk space which is being using by nothing
    and see what i showed up there in the screenshots , this big unknown space
    now , from the numbers which are applied (as i said up there in the registry) , the system is going to take this amount of space no matter how small it's , and in return no matter what you removed by editing the image , used space stays the same and the bugged space increased
    to solve this bug , simply integrate the registry key which is

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ReserveManager]
    "ShippedWithReserves"=dword:00000000

which disables it and fixes the problem
    also , this reserved storage space increases based on the partition size which windows is installed on , so if it's 20gb it will be small , if it's 100GB it will be big
    for sure you can edit these numbers but it's easier to just add the reg key and disable it

i wasted many days trying to understand what's happening
    and btw in LTSC 2019 this reserved storage doesn't exist , there are no BaseHardReserveSize key , that explains i didn't face the problem in LTSC 2019

wish that becomes helpful to others , if you are someone who edits make sure you get that reg key in your images , up to you to set it to 0 (disabled) or 1 (Enabled)
    but make sure you integrate the key using your editing tool whatever it's , after sysprep and before sysprep

have a good day

Edit: If an admin could change the thread to "Reserve Storage Bug/Problem" and write solved next to it i would be glad