[Solved] Restarting router, other computer can't find it

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ibeqa, Dec 18, 2010.

1. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #1 ibeqa, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
    This damn problem is haunting me for the third day now and I can't do a thing about it.
    I have an old desktop (custom made) bios modded with win7 x86 ultimate, also I have a netbook (win7 x86 ultimate with Daz loader) so I bought a cheap wireless router (dlink di-524) in order to have a wireless network. Router has the latest firmware.
    Everything was fine for more than a year (except that router needs restarts every now and than due to his low memory, I found out that googeing about it), since three days ago, whenever I restart the router and my netbook was connected to the network, after restart netbook cant find the network anymore, I can see other networks and on my desktop everything is fine - internet works. Also I have updated netbooks wlan card drivers (Realtek) but the problem is perssitant!
    The worst part is that I just had a hemorrhoid surgery a week a go, so I cannot sit on a chair (near computer) and I have to relay on my netbook. So you see this problem is a double pain in the a..e :mad:

Awaiting your help.

Cheers

2. DrM!KEY

DrM!KEY MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2009
    The dlink di-524 is a headache, I know.
    What are your settings in the router?
    Do you have security on? Do you broadcast SSID off?
    In the start search bar type "Manage Wireless Networks" and see if you have any networks saved there.

3. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Yes I have security (WPA-PSK with TKIP) and yes it does broadcast SSID.
    I did try saved networks but no good it wont connect. I even tried manually entering credentinals but no good either.

Cheers

4. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    if there is a factory reset button on the router(theres one on mine but not the same model) can try resetting and installing the router again.(by pushing in on the button with a pointy object,and holding it for few seconds while it is still plugged in)thus setting the router back to factory settings.then run setup again.hope that helps.good luck.

5. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Due to the pain and inability to sit, I will try that latter maybe in a week time, bu thanks for the suggestion.

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    For cheap & cheerful unit you should have bought (old, but trusty) dsl-g624

sebus

7. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    post back and let us know if you get it working.have a good one.

8. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    All right, I did reset the router and it seems that everything is OK. I had to restart router two times and in a minute or two it my netbook conected automaticly.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers

9. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    from my experience with Dlink routers.....they suck compared to Linksys IMHO

anyways things to note about Dlink routers running wireless.
    Always have the latest firmware for your revision model.
    Always set a transmit channel and don't allow the transmit channel to be automatic. (will stop laptop/netbook from droping and refinding network)
    Set the MTU in the router to 1300 instead of the 1500 default. (this will able you to have a stable connection)
    WPA_psk should be at AES.

10. ibeqa

ibeqa MDL Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Thanks for suggestion, I will try it.