SOLVED: Selective USB problems

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Chakonari, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Chakonari

Chakonari MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2015
    #1 Chakonari, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Hi. I joined because a post was linked on other sites... but found that it did not apply... . So here I am. Thanks for reading.

Side note: I am aware that a fresh install of Windows is one thing to try, but in this case really the last thing I want to do.

Short version:
    - My new USB audio interface stops playback after 1 minute+
    - Only fix so far is to reboot Windows 7 Home 64 bit
    - It only runs when connected to a powered USB hub
    - My old USB audio interface displayed the same problem
    - I have uninstalled + deleted all USB devices and drivers
    - 'Re-installed' Windows with the upgrade option (this fixed keyboard, mouse and hub not being recognised)
    - I have reinstalled a Windows update mentioned in KB2484031
    - The USB problems began after I moved house and plugged my devices into different ports.

Details:
    After moving house and plugging my USB devices into different ports, I had to 'reinstall' Windows (Upgrade install so I didn't have to reinstall all my other software) as it would not recognise anything except for an old USB keyboard I had never used on this PC before.

Before the upgrade install I tried the steps for deleting all (hidden) USB drivers/devices/ports (lots of crap accumulated over the years) but that did not change anything(aside from Windows reinstalling stuff) - hence the upgrade install.

My USB keyboard and mouse (plugged in directly) as well as USB MIDI keyboard (via powered USB Hub) now work without issues.

However my new USB audio interface stops working after a few minutes. Level meters on screen show sound playing, but no output. I can stop and restart playback - same problem. If I unplug the device and plug it back in, Windows does not recognise it - before that it is still listed correctly in the device manager with no errors showing. It works again when Windows is restarted.

If I plug the device into a port on the PC, device not recognised - so it only works intermittently on the hub.

My old USB audio interface displayed the same problem (and I wanted some new functions) which is why I got the new USB audio interface.

The error occurs both with the Windows USB audio driver and the manufacturer's driver.

The only thing I could find was Microsoft's KB2484031

As I don't have a restore point, I uninstalled the update and let Windows Update do the update again (it downloaded the newer 2014 version) but the issue remains.

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Which MIDI keyboard do you have? and which Audio device do you have?
    Sometimes a MIDI / USB driver will clash with a USB Audio driver. I had problems with the Alesis Vortex and MOTU.

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Chakonari

Chakonari MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2015
    #3 Chakonari, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    (OP)
    Hi MJ

I have a Nektar Panorama P6 and M-Audio M-Track MK II. Before that I was using an Audiophile USB with the P6 and it all worked well together. So the only new hardware is the M-Track (which is showing the same problem the Audiophile did).

Like I said, the problem only started after moving house and plugging in all my USB devices into different ports. (Install is over a year old and has had lots of plugging because I used to fix phones and got files on USB to do stuff for friends)

Off topic: The Audiophile was always a bit of a sissy, because it had a power supply and every time there was a bit of interference in the mains - as simple as a light being switched on - it would stop working (had to off/on). Also I got new pair of LSR305s that only have balanced inputs.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Chakonari

Chakonari MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2015
    Thanks MJ. Power conditioner... yes I need to start looking into interference and connections (wish I had an oscilloscope) Am beginning to think that I might just need to replace all cables. I do have a powered hub which I got for the Panorama as it does need one for the motorised fader (works fine if the fader power is not connected).

Currently live on an island and used to live close to the sea... now a bit further inland and the humidity is much lower... I have seen oxidation on this island in places that lead to "WTFs?!"... on the other hand it may also be a case of running cables properly to avoid interference. Have not yet done everything properly yet.

Last night:

-Plugged the M-Track into the PC with the original (new) cable
    -Worked! (it would not recognise it before)
    -Unplugged and used my long cable(so it could be on the other side of my desk)... worked
    -Moved it to the other side of my desk.. did not work
    -Moved back to where I didn't want to place it, worked once
    -Used original cable at non-practical placement - been working since last night (it's morning here now).
    - The long cable is the original that came with the Audiophile with which it worked until the move.

No software updates were done during this time.

Based on your suggestion and last night, me thinks it may really just be applying best practice + common sense to the mechanical end of my connections. :eek:

It also looks like I had more than one issue to deal with that lead to the USB problems the software side I probably solved with the upgrade install.

I don't have smart phone myself by the way and no longer fix them for others.

Need to get some stuff for the new place now and will redo my connections/cables the way I actually know it should be done when I get back and post results.

[play eerie music]... I might also being living on a ley line now :eek:...:D

Thanks again MJ

6. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Sounds like you could be required to reflow the USB ports.
    (And add flux to the USB port solder joints before reheating the USB port solder joints)

7. Chakonari

Chakonari MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2015
    #7 Chakonari, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
    (OP)
    Thanks for that and sorry for replying so late. Yes, this would really have been the next thing to consider. And it was not so far off (close to 2.).

I did have to redo the main socket on the hub by the way. But that's because it is not built to withstand anything - it was only really held down by the soldering. Small bit of plastic wedged in the right place solved that. Hadn't posted that as it was an issue solved a while ago, but as you mentioned soldering.

Everything has been working for a couple of weeks now. I found that my problems were:

1. Having plugged in too many different USB devices over time messed things up. Deleting all hidden, non-connected devices and the actual hubs solved this problem. - there are detailed tutorials on how to do this.

2. Dodgy connectors. Most likely some of my USB cable plugs suffered from oxidation but are not completely gone. i.e. the points that had been making contact were clean but the rest not. So a particular plug would only work when plugged into the socket it was in before and of course only if pushed in the correct way. Bit like lock and key - This is the the only way I can explain the random errors that had been driving me crazy.

Mystery solved.