SOLVED: SFF Dell Optiplex 780: DVD burners can only make coasters?!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dougwa, Jul 21, 2014.

1. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    #1 dougwa, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    What's wrong with my small form factor Dell? Using known-good DVD drives my burns ALWAYS fail verification!
    Info:
    I've got a fresh install of 32 bit Windows 7 professional on a quad core Q9400 Dell Optiplex 780. The memory is a 4 gb stick of Kingston; the hard drive is a new 500 gb Seagate 7200 rpm. I'm using Verbatim media.
    I've tried a brand new burner and I've tried several burners which work perfectly in my laptop, but it's always the same - data verification failure.
    For software, I've tried Nero Lite and I've tried ImgBurn (Infrarecorder refuses to create the image for burning on my machine... ???).
    What should I try next?

2. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    OK, this should have been obvious... I downloaded memtest86 and... BAD STICK OF MEMORY! Never happened to me before.... somehow I thought if you can boot 'n browse the memory must be OK. Guess what? I was mistaken!
    I called Kingston and they were awesome, they paid the return shipping and everything. However, they warned me that if the stick turned out to be a Chinese knockoff, they would confiscate it and take action against the seller. Sounds fair to me!