[Solved] Unblock Application Installation

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by adric, Oct 14, 2017.

1. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    I am trying to install an app (Lenovo Power Manager) that is blocked from installing when trying to install on Win10. On Win8.1 all that was needed was to install in W7 compatibility mode. This no longer works on W10. Looks like MS has overridden this option with something else. Anyone know how to by-bass the install blocking?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If Lenovo have not made it to work in versions higher than Windows 7, the problem has now been around for two or more years, then it probably will not be necessary.
    Lenovo no longer supports this gadget as You know.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be a Lenovo problem!I had tried that on the S10-3 and couldn't get it to work either. Talked to some Lenovo staff in Bangkok, they told: NOT compatible with Windows 10 at all! They also told that the Power Management is fully integrated into Windows 10 now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    Lenovo wants you to use their crap universal apps which are not part of W10 LTSB . Power Manager runs fine on W8.1 - also unsupported. I'm aware of all this. I'm asking if anyone knows how to unblock the installation.

5. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    #5 adric, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    (OP)
    Since there were no takers with a solution to my OP, I looked into this problem a bit further. As it turns out there's a
    HARDBLOCK enabled on this particular setup.exe. This overrides the setup from running in W7 compatibility mode.
    You can disable the block with the Application Compatibility Toolkit (ACT) from the Windows 10 Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) that supports your particular W10 version. By disabling the HARDBLOCK and running the setup in W7 compatibility mode, I was able to install the Lenovo Power Manager on my W10 LTSB which is running fine for my purposes. I mainly wanted to be able to set the charging threshold of the battery to a lower level to minimize how often the battery is charged up to 100%