[Solved] Upgrade from W7 Pro goes to W10 Enterprise ?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by mcl, Aug 18, 2021.

1. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
  2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    #2 mxman2k, Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    The query report shows that Win 7 Pro was installed at the time of the QT being run, no mention of Enterprise there.

To install win 10 Pro , on a clean install the setup should of picked up the W10 Pro key within the MSDM area of the bios of this computer and installed Pro without asking, unless you have added a ei.cfg file within the Sources folder then the setup will ignore the MSDM bios key and ask which Edition to install usually or if the ei.cfg has a Edition entry other than Pro then setup will install the specified Edition.

When you install , (or in-place upgrade from 7 to), W10 Pro , the Query report will always have a 'Composition' entry saying 'Enterprise' because it is a 'composite' of that Edition, this is normal, it does look odd, but it is how m$ seems to have designed the OS.

If your W10 install is showing Enterprise on all Edition entries in a QT report , you can if you wish to convert to Pro without loosing any data or a reformat/install, in the Private report of the QT you will see your MSDM key, or the text file labelled MSDM....txt , you can use that key to change the OS Edition to Pro. Open settings, then update and security, Activate then click on change product key, paste or enter your Pro MSDM key there and follow the on screen prompts. If asked to reboot, do so and the OS should convert to Pro.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    The -XTPKC key is one that is within the BIOS, it is the OS's license key, for in this case 'Windows 10 Professional' - this came with the computer as i am guessing the laptop had W10 pre-installed when it was bought and then Win 7 was later installed.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #5 Enthousiast, Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    Can you share the sha1 of the used ISO?

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  7. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Sorry, I should have explained more clearly.

I tried performing an in-place upgrade.

Went from W7 Pro, which I'm showing here to W10 Enterprise.

I've then restored from a backup to get back to W7 Pro.

I was asked which Edition to install and selected Pro.

I will try this. Thanks.

8. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
    SHA1: FACAFF42416E19E34C143B0E2CF6CDDB18EEA231

9. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
    I don't understand what you're saying here.

What I did was as per your example, I selected Win 10 Pro.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  11. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
  12. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Where can I find the SHA-1 checksum?

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Put the full ISO filename in the MDL search and you will find a checksum overview:

14. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
    OK I have downloaded the ISO

My current plan is to perform this upgrade in a VM and then backup and restore back to the Dell.

Reason being that the computer is in use (besides when I'm trying to upgrade it) and I have already had a few aborted upgrade attempts before succeeding and then finding I had Enterprise.

Anyway when I run setup in the VM, I'm being asked for a W10 product key

W10 Product Key.png

So can I use the code from my QT report here?

And then backup and restore this image back to the Dell after successfully upgrading?

If I should do the upgrade in place on the Dell, I will. But my preference would be to perform in the VM, because if there are any more issues I can troubleshoot them without having the PC offline.

15. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Please note that a VM does NOT represent your system, but is a completely separate machine/install. The OS in the VM will see almost all different hardware (the virtualized one).

A newly created VM is usually empty, nothing to upgrade.

16. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    In the VM you are asked for a w10 product key because the BIOS in the vm does not have any MSDM key, you can use your w10 Pro MSDM key or the generic -3v66t w10 pro key.

It may be wise not to have the VM connected to the internet when using your MSDM key as even though the vm will probably get activated it may upset the activation on the laptop later.

I doubt that any issues will arise from installing/upgrading to w10 on the laptop as it originally was supplied with it. All drivers should be available on the Dell website, or via windows update.

17. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
    That's what I was wondering about.

Thanks for clarifying.

18. mcl

mcl MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Hello,

So the journey continues ...

I upgraded W10 in-place (i.e. on the Dell computer)

This time the W10 setup found the product key and automatically selected the destination of W10 Pro.

However after the upgrade completed, once again I have W10 Enterprise.

Which while not ideal, would be OK, if activation had completed. But it hasn't.

Control Panel / System looks like this

Control Panel - System.png

Settings / Activation looks like this

Settings - Activation.png
    Settings / Activation also has the following message
    Code:
    The last product key you entered can't be used on this copy of Windows (0x80070426)
    Which is no doubt the crux of the problem.

I can't upload a QT Report as it appears to have hung at 94% completion

QT Report - 94%.png

Suggestions?