[Solved] Upgrade non-legit Windows 8 to 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Det, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Det

Det MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    #1 Det, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    Is it possible? To preserve my files instead of doing a clean install?

2. crabhunter

crabhunter MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Yes, just stick the disc in or mount the iso and run setup.
    I have not found an ez method of activating yet, I might be wrong but kmsmicro V5 seems the only way at the moment.
    Mike

3. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Well, I did. 8 Pro x86 to 8.1 Ent x86. Smooth upgrade using ISO and KMSmicro (both found in this forum) and no app crashes, no bugs, nothing :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Det

Det MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    Yeah, but I can't get past the product key step, since apparently all the keys I try are blacklisted.

That is, I keep getting the "We can't connect right now" or "Sorry, we're having trouble determining if your PC can run Windows 8.1. Please close setup and try again" error messages.

5. Det

Det MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    I see now. So the fact that I was trying to upgrade to a retail[1] version, meant that I couldn't?

[1] = 194.71.107.80/torrent/9119916/Windows_8.1_x64_Retail_10in1_FINAL__KMS_ACTIVATOR_(New_Server_)

6. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Er, this is what I did with my setup of retail:

1. Activate with MTK, which converts it into VL and activates
    2. Use an ISO from here burned onto a pen drive and upgrade (it didn't ask me for a key, but if you do have to enter a key use the ones murphy linked to)
    3. Search for, and get hold of, KMSmicro. Follow instructions and you have yourself a copy of 8.1.

Note: Retail WILL NOT work unless you have a legit key. And no, no amount of looking on the internet is going to let you get a working retail key. If you find a torrent that says retail, you can download it knowing that you will convert it into VL almost instantly after setup. Retail and KMS are totally different, so don't mix up the two.

No need to worry about whether you have the retail, VL, etc etc. I hope this cleared things up somewhat.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Det

Det MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    #8 Det, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2013
    (OP)
    You're confusing me even more :biggrin:.

The activation is not a problem. It's getting past the error messages in the beginning of the installation.

I'm also not sure what you mean by this. That torrent is a retail version that also includes KMS, which I've already used to activate with.

So the fact that I keep getting the "We can't tell if your PC is ready to continue installing Windows 8.1. Try restarting Setup." message (even with the VL ISOs) means something else is blocking the installation and I've got try and reboot and/or uninstall some non-existing AV/FW so the setup can continue.

Or what the f**k?

8. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Are you using the GVLKs from the technet page? Could you post a screenshot? Maybe that could help :confused:

You might as well give that a try. Sometimes AVs can annoy the hell out of us users, even more so than the viruses they're supposed to protect against :D

Sure, that's another way to go. :wallhead:

9. Det

Det MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    I've been trying these with the other ISO: pastebin.com/SyeWcnKq

I have no idea how can I be one of the only people in the world to have this :D. I remember something similar with the 7 → 8 upgrade as well.

The error message appears after I tell Windows to preserve my files. Screenshot attached.

They can. But I meant as in that I don't _have_ one.

I already ran the System Update Readiness Tool, which fixed something wrong with the Store (which still won't open due to a "license" issue), thinking it'd make a difference (which it didn't).

Attached Files:

10. crabhunter

crabhunter MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Are you using a 3rd party bootloader, I had the same until I made my Windows 8 partition active and let it boot with it's own bootloader.

11. Det

Det MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    Well that was it. Not changing the default bootloader but marking the damn partition as active.

Thanks.

12. pun

pun MDL Senior Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I'm kicking myself, figuratively at least. Less than a month ago I was messing around with my partitions and ended up marking the wrong one active. The nightmare that followed will be a very painful lesson I can never forget. It took me several repeated (and failed) attempts to overwrite the existing install before some searching showed me the power of diskpart. A few minutes of experimenting and a lot of overdone praying (which I normally don't do, being atheist :D ) and everything was normal again; no data lost, no messing with the bootloader. Just changed the active partition.
    My Win7 bootloader took over from the Win8 one, going back from the snazzy blue GUI to the boring B&W. Funnily when I did a refresh from Win8 later (I experiment quite often:p) the Win8 bootloader was back and working. Weird Windows, huh? :biggrin:

I'm just wishing I had thought of this sooner. But glad to know your problem has been resolved.