[Solved] Upgrade windows 10 education to windows 11 education for free

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by jineso, Feb 24, 2023.

1. jineso

jineso MDL Member

Oct 8, 2021
    Hi,
    I have a PC using a windows education key.
    I've opened the update settings and got the message on the top of the page that I can upgrade to windows 11 for free.
    Now this message is gone after restarting.
    How do you check if the used key is eligible for free windows 11 upgrade?
    Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Simple answer is yes you can upgrade to w11 Education on that PC. :)

It will already of been checked by m$ that is why you got the message it is possible to upgrade from w10 to 11 on that PC as it must of met the requirements. Sometimes the message vanishes and will re-appear at a later time. Or you can just upgrade manually via a Windows Update check. If the device does not meet the minimum requirements or has some driver/hardware issue then the process will fail and you should get a reason notification of why it failed to upgrade.

More involved information:
    The key would of been changed into a hardwareID (HWID) so as long as you install the same Edition ie Education it not matter if it Windows 10, 11 or even win 12.
    The original Education Edition Key will now be locked to that computer via the HWID that it has been subsumed into - although sometimes the key can be used again on another PC but only after several months have elapsed, this not always work but it used to prior to Win 10 RS5 when i last tried that method.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jineso

jineso MDL Member

Oct 8, 2021
    How to get the message back?
    It was under the title (Windows Update)
    upload_2023-2-24_13-45-29.png

4. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    Click check for updates, that usually will show the Feature Update(upgrade)...

Otherwise i am not sure how to force it back, but it should return if all is OK to upgrade and no driver/hardware issues it has detected that could cause failures...

5. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
    I notice on the picture that it has a side section to check if the device is w11 upgrade compatible. Click that and it should run/install a m$ w11 checker.

I did have a link to a 3rd party checker but cant find it :( That used to show a list of what is compatible or not etc..

6. mxman2k

mxman2k MDL Developer

Jun 20, 2007
  7. jineso

jineso MDL Member

Oct 8, 2021
    Just tried my windows education 10 key on windows 11 education, and it worked, so thanks a lot my friend for that tip.