[Solved] Video driver problem...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Oct 23, 2016.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

I bought a new Acer Aspire Win7 laptop (mfg 2014) from BB and just finished loading an Acronis backup from my old Win7 Toshiba onto it. Went surprisingly well considering the Acer is Intel and the Toshiba was AMD. Booted right up after restoring the backup, only had to inject the AHCI driver to make it boot. After loading all the Acer drivers, I have a problem with the video. Everything works as expected except "Windows Experience" refuses to run and I get a message about the screensaver cannot run. I've tried removing the Acer/Intel drivers and using a generic MS driver and get the same thing. Here are some snaps of my device tree, hope someone has some ideas...

Thanks!

Russ

Attached Files:

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    You have what I would consider a "dirty install" meaning that you still have all the old crap and drivers from your previous pc. Your best option (imho) is to back up all your data on another medium and do a "clean install" meaning that you wipe everything (format) and go with a fresh clean install of Windows 7, That way you won't have anything buggy going on

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Thanks Urie, I'll try this tool.

You both are right, this is a dirty install. I no longer have the time, energy, or patience to sit here for days and try to find/reinstall all the stuff I've gathered over the years. Do ya'll know of any registry cleaners that can scan the "local machine" branch and remove old hardware? I've got a half dozen "current control sets", sure would be nice if there was a tool that could sort out that mess among the others residing there! Too bad MS decided to go with the overly-complicated registry instead of INF files like pre-95 versions used, much easier not only to un/install programs, but also the OS...

Russ

5. Bambinoo

Bambinoo MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2016
    @RASelkirk,

These folks are absolutely correct...do a clean install. If not, you can never expect the system to run well.
    In the end, you will probably spend a lot less time doing that than constantly getting the "dirty install" to function properly..if ever.

IMHO

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Addicted

Nov 26, 2012
    You're a real genius. :clap:

7. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You need to reset the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) & let windows detect & install devices.
    I use an old copy of shadow protect that I have on CD.
    I guess it's like a "bare metal" restore...
    There's bound to be other migration tools that do the same...

8. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Actually, it runs just fine. I just have a "!" mark on the hardware tree under video driver, and Windows Experience does not run. Again, I will NOT be doing a clean install even though it has been recommended. Just looking for a different solution should it exist...

Russ

BTW, Urie, that tool worked in part. It did find and install a new video driver, but the two problems still exist...

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Acronis would have worked if he had used universal restore.

10. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I do have it and used it. Somehow, it does not remove the old (now useless) drivers so they are still clogging things up...

Russ

11. SOGLAD-5

SOGLAD-5 MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2016
    #13 SOGLAD-5, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Hope this helps!

MMmmm...

Scares me!

I too greatly value of the 'stuff' I've gleaned over the years so I invested in two backup 'vault drives' with *everything* I treasure. This includes gigabytes of great-working older programs that I just can't find elsewhere today (including oldapps)! Both of those drives have the same files/programs with current bookmarks and Firewall backups ~ OH' yea!

Actually there are three drives including my 3TB Movie drive ~ Argggggg! But I confess I have no backup for it.

Today (10-25-16) there are NEW 500GB (SATA) Seagate hard drives on eBay for $29.88 including free shipping... still sealed in the factory pack! To me, that's really inexpensive insurance when one considers the time and efforts it takes to get stuff in the first place!

Ya' got a laptop you say and no room for a backup drive? USB 3.0 Hard Drive enclosures are about $10 and you may as well store your Windows Restore Volume there too!

For Registration cleanup use CCLEANER... it's free but just be careful with your settings! Cleans cookies (and allows you to save specific cookies as well). Also cleans *all* of the junk out of your Browsers too... oh yea, it DELETES most installed programs as well... on COMMAND... not on it's own.

Another VERY cool program is ZABKAT Xplorer2 Pro. Installed it's about 3.2MB! This awesome program gives you 2 Windows Explorer Windows 'side-by-side'... so it's SUPER easy to copy files and folders within a drive or across drives. Also works across your network too. COMPARE folders to see what's different and what you need is highlighted to make it ALL super easy... WAY too many nice features to list here! Google it and be impressed!

I do my best to keep stuff in separate Folders like; MICROSOFT / DRIVERS / DOCS etc. It's actually not that tough to backup your files NOW... so no crocodile tears later. Ya' know that deep sinking feeling like you really Fd-up? And ever get that ugly stab when your system won't boot and your screen is not the only thing blue?

IT is written on the Pyramid Walls ~ "BACK IT UP" ~ but you truly are the captain of your own ship and create your own destiny! Invest now, relax later. Or plan "B"... hang on to the grenade until it explodes.

SOGLAD-5

12. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Well, I looked at the "conflicts/sharing" section under hardware resources using MSInfo32.exe, and found a ton of stuff! I ended up re-imaging the Acer with it's factory programming, going back into the conflicts section, and to my surprise, found basically the same thing. I exported most of the useful stuff to text files, reloaded the Acer with my Acronis backup, and took another look. The two systems are identical except for the "new" system showing "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" in three places where the original Acer system shows "Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 - 1Exx". After loading my backup, and going to "Components | Storage | IDE", I see completely different drivers. The Acer system showed only "Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" using "iastor.sys" for it's driver, while now I see that (except the driver now shows "msahci.sys), plus additional ATA Channel 2 and ATA Channel 3 using "standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers".

I'm worn out messing with it, but feel like I need to delete those two channels and try and install the correct drivers...

Russ

13. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010

Attached Files:

14. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    RASelkirk, you've been stuffing around with this issue for a week now. As far as I can see things are getting worse & I can't see you resolving them.
    Bite the bullet. Just back up any data you want & perform a clean install. You'll be up and running same day - without issue.

15. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010

Actually, it's running fine. I'm just a bit anal about stuff being where it doesn't belong with no apparent way to fix it. Thanks MS, for such a bloated POS OS! Sure was a lot easier to uninstall stuff in the old days by simply deleting it's folder...

Russ

16. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    display driver cleanup tool and device manager, show hidden devices while in safemode.
    also remove pci to pci bridge in system and reboot.

17. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Fixed!

Russ