[Solved] Video driver problem...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Oct 23, 2016.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Hi All,

I bought a new Acer Aspire Win7 laptop (mfg 2014) from BB and just finished loading an Acronis backup from my old Win7 Toshiba onto it. Went surprisingly well considering the Acer is Intel and the Toshiba was AMD. Booted right up after restoring the backup, only had to inject the AHCI driver to make it boot. After loading all the Acer drivers, I have a problem with the video. Everything works as expected except "Windows Experience" refuses to run and I get a message about the screensaver cannot run. I've tried removing the Acer/Intel drivers and using a generic MS driver and get the same thing. Here are some snaps of my device tree, hope someone has some ideas...

Thanks!

Russ

Attached Files:

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    You have what I would consider a "dirty install" meaning that you still have all the old crap and drivers from your previous pc. Your best option (imho) is to back up all your data on another medium and do a "clean install" meaning that you wipe everything (format) and go with a fresh clean install of Windows 7, That way you won't have anything buggy going on

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  4. Bambinoo

Bambinoo MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2016
    @RASelkirk,

These folks are absolutely correct...do a clean install. If not, you can never expect the system to run well.
    In the end, you will probably spend a lot less time doing that than constantly getting the "dirty install" to function properly..if ever.

IMHO

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You're a real genius. :clap:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    You need to reset the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) & let windows detect & install devices.
    I use an old copy of shadow protect that I have on CD.
    I guess it's like a "bare metal" restore...
    There's bound to be other migration tools that do the same...

7. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Actually, it runs just fine. I just have a "!" mark on the hardware tree under video driver, and Windows Experience does not run. Again, I will NOT be doing a clean install even though it has been recommended. Just looking for a different solution should it exist...

Russ

BTW, Urie, that tool worked in part. It did find and install a new video driver, but the two problems still exist...

8. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
  9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Acronis would have worked if he had used universal restore.

10. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    I do have it and used it. Somehow, it does not remove the old (now useless) drivers so they are still clogging things up...

Russ

11. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Well, I looked at the "conflicts/sharing" section under hardware resources using MSInfo32.exe, and found a ton of stuff! I ended up re-imaging the Acer with it's factory programming, going back into the conflicts section, and to my surprise, found basically the same thing. I exported most of the useful stuff to text files, reloaded the Acer with my Acronis backup, and took another look. The two systems are identical except for the "new" system showing "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" in three places where the original Acer system shows "Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 - 1Exx". After loading my backup, and going to "Components | Storage | IDE", I see completely different drivers. The Acer system showed only "Intel(R) 7 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" using "iastor.sys" for it's driver, while now I see that (except the driver now shows "msahci.sys), plus additional ATA Channel 2 and ATA Channel 3 using "standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers".

I'm worn out messing with it, but feel like I need to delete those two channels and try and install the correct drivers...

Russ

12. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010

Attached Files:

13. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    RASelkirk, you've been stuffing around with this issue for a week now. As far as I can see things are getting worse & I can't see you resolving them.
    Bite the bullet. Just back up any data you want & perform a clean install. You'll be up and running same day - without issue.

14. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010

Actually, it's running fine. I'm just a bit anal about stuff being where it doesn't belong with no apparent way to fix it. Thanks MS, for such a bloated POS OS! Sure was a lot easier to uninstall stuff in the old days by simply deleting it's folder...

Russ

15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    display driver cleanup tool and device manager, show hidden devices while in safemode.
    also remove pci to pci bridge in system and reboot.

16. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010