[Solved] "W10 can't be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jmcyang, Mar 19, 2024.

Tags:
  1. jmcyang

jmcyang MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2011
    I'm trying to install Windows 10, from a bootable USB flash drive created using the latest ISO from the Microsoft site. During the Windows installation process, after I've logged into my MS account, and when I try to install Windows to the partition, it says "Windows 10 can't be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

My partition is indeed set to GPT, and from what I can tell, I'm correctly booting in UEFI mode to the Windows installation flash drive, so I understand normally this should work.

On this computer and on my MS account, I previously had Win 10 installed as an upgrade from Win 7 which was installed using Windows Loader, and *all that was using MBR*.

Is Windows not allowing me to install to GPT presently, because my previous installation was to MBR, and it's associating the previous installation to the present one (either through my MS account; or through my PC although I DBAN-ed the HDD)?

Hope my question isn't inappropriate here; I'm not sure it's specific to Windows Loader and I didn't find any search results for the error message that I got. Thanks for any help.

2. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    forget UEFI and GPT partitions, forget MS account W10 and W11 works perfectly in MBR partitions or (even better) MBR VHDs.

Forget also ISOs, setup.exe and all the trash from the 90s.

Just deploy your system using dism or, if you are a newbie, use winntsetup.exe

3. jmcyang

jmcyang MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2011
  4. Logon

Logon MDL Junior Member

May 31, 2008
    My pleasure.