[SOLVED] Watfix not responding

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by StuartA, Jul 1, 2015.

1. StuartA

StuartA MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2015
    I'm running Win 7 Ultimate build 7601.

I tried running an activator as adminstrator and was not sure if it worked (I can't remember which one).

I have now tried running Watfix as adminstrator, and it comes up with "Initialising your installation, that may take a few seconds, please wait..." in the message panel, and this was over an hour ago.

When I click on the message window it shows Setup (Not responding) in the header bar.

Has anyone got any ideas on what is actually happening?

I tried the good old alt/ctl/delete to get the taks manager, and it does not show anything actually running under applications.

Thanks. Stuart Aitchison

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    open a command prompt as administrator type sfc /scannow , and then run WatFix as administrator. You may need to disable your Anti-Virus or add an exclusion to your Anti-Virus for Watfix and try again.

3. StuartA

StuartA MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2015
    Thanks for your response. I tried that, and I am now getting another message:

Network error(-2146697211) encountered. Install aborted.

Is the download the actual software, or is it the installer to the software?
    Am I supposed to be logged onto the internet?

The file I downloaded is a zip file that contains a zip file that contains an exe object.

Stuart

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Where did you get that file from?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    It is probably time we(I) start first by asking where the files came from prior to offering help and solutions. Seems to be safer that way.

6. Pointy

Pointy MDL Junior Member

May 11, 2015
    Also a good idea to run malwarebytes. And mse.
    Scanning with them both 9ne at a time should be a good idea

7. StuartA

StuartA MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2015
    #8 StuartA, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2015
    (OP)
    Watfix not working

Apologies for not responding immediately. I had an internet access issue. My SP decided to double the cost of bandwidth, God bless them!!!

I downloaded Watfix, Daz loader 2.2.2, and 7 Loader Extreme from "www . windows7fake . org".

Just how safe is this site, and if it is not safe, where can I download these items?

The original download was actually a zip file which contained another zip file which contained the exe.
    It was not a directly downloaded exe.

StuartA

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #9 s1ave77, Jul 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  10. StuartA

StuartA MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2015
    Right. Thanks to everyone.

Avatar Guru posted: It is probably time we(I) start first by asking where the files came from prior to offering help and solutions. Seems to be safer that way.

That I think proved to be the key to the matter.
    Once I had downloaded from MDL, and then proceeded as recommended, I now have an activated Win7.
    I then downloaded the latest updates, and it is still active, so again, thanks very much.

I most surely wish in some ways that we could go back to punch cards and paper tape, and no virii and malware and so on.
    Ok, you only got one compile through per day per program (two if you were lucky), and it took two months to get a working program, but what the hell!! Life was slooooow in those days!!!
    Then it was the joys of S38's and AS400's and iSeries and so on, but still no virii.
    Now its PC's and desktop hell. No wonder I have lost interest in I.T.

Crazy Lady: "Virii"?? A scholar and and a lady to boot. I love it.

Stuart Aitchison

11. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Thanks for the response. I'll ask moderation to mark the thraed as solved :good3:.