[Solved] Win11 Login Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by DeathStalker77, Feb 10, 2022.

1. DeathStalker77

DeathStalker77 MDL Addicted

Nov 8, 2009
    Hello all!

Just trying to set up Win 11 (for the 1st time) on my dad's new laptop. Had it originally set for PIN only, but REALLY want it just to log in without ANYTHING. Followed YT vid instructions, which all seemed consistent), but now I'm stuck with 2 login options at startup (lower left shows 2 accts - 1 is password, the other is PIN). It defaults to the bottom one, which is the password. I've used netplwiz and the Require Password is unchecked. Under USERS (Control Panel), there is only 1 account, though it DOES indicate "Password Protected" and I can find no option to remove that. If I remove the PASSWORD from the SYSTEM>Accounts, then it says there will be no password for the email (system has Outlook 2016 as opposed to the built-in default Mail - which I wish I could remove).

Any help on getting it to the desired state? (I still want his email protected).

Thanks!!!! :)

--- DS

I should add that I did set it up with his MS account so he could properly access the store, as I saw no harm in that. Is that something I need to change so that it is ONLY a Local Account? If so, again, what would the steps be?

Thanks!

2. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Yep! Changing it to a LOCAL ACCOUNT (which also involved disabling and unencrypting the drive from BitLocker), resolved the issue :)

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    There are many inaccuracies and errors in your description, but they are not a problem because you cannot be logged in automatically.
    I can't tell you if your computer is working properly or not, because some computers have trouble saving passwords and logins, and they may fail to log in automatically.
    However, I'm pretty sure one of the obstacles is that you have "Require Windows Hello sign-in ..." turned on, and if it's enabled, you won't be able to use automatic sign-in.
    However, let me remind you that Windows 11 still has problems logging in and remembering passwords, PINs, and so on, especially on slower computers.
    So, first check if "Require Windows Hello sign-in ..." is turned on and if it is, turn it off and then You may need to restart the pc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    Sound to me like bitlocker could be the issue if you cant remove the encryption u mite have to replace the HD

5. DeathStalker77

Nov 8, 2009
    Ummmmm, I DID post the update that identified HOW I resolved the issue.