[Solved] Windows 10 Activation using Local Account vs. MS Account

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by John Sutherland, Jun 13, 2017.

1. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Right now I have Windows 10 Home (Build 14393.1198) installed on my HP laptop. Original OS was Windows 8 Core, upgraded to 8.1 Core, later to Windows 10 Home. Activation is via a digital license linked to my MS Account, which I first created when I did a clean install of 8.1 about a month after doing the upgrade via the Windows Store.

Question: Suppose that sometime in the future I want to do a clean install of Windows 10 Home, and create a Local Account during the installation process instead of using my current MS Account. I obtained the current activation key using Belarc Advisor, but do I need anything else for a valid activation? Like some sort of digitally signed certificate? Or is activation of Windows 10 permanently tied to my MS Account?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The HWID is based on the hardware it's established on, no need for using your MSA when clean installing win 10 Home on that hardware.

3. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @ Enthousiast - Thanks for answering one minute after I posted. You are a speed demon!

I know that the HWID is the major factor in Windows 10 activation, I just wanted to be sure that changing my account from MS to Local didn't somehow foul things up. Thanks again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. John Sutherland

Oct 15, 2014
    Who marked my thread as [Solved]? I wanted to leave it open for a while in case anyone tried exactly what I described and ran into problems during or after the installation.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The staff probably did, it will be kept open.