[SOLVED] Windows 10 upgrade stalled at 32%

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by joeyjoey, Feb 25, 2016.

1. joeyjoey

joeyjoey MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2016
    #1 joeyjoey, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    If you run into this problem, read on.

I just upgraded from Win8.1 to Win10 through the popup.

The installation would always fail at 32% of the full completion, and 6% of the sub-install for "Installing devices and drivers" or something like this. At 30% installation, the screen would be at a blurry low resolution, maybe something like 640x480. Then at 32% the screen would flash, as if it recognized higher resolution and my graphics drivers were loaded. Then it would hang. I would have to do a hard power down by holding the power button. On the restart, the computer would then detect that the installation failed and revert me back to Win8.1.

Googling shows this is a common error. The recommendation is to update your drivers. I went to Lenovo's site, downloaded new gfx drivers and installed. The install would complete, but Device Manger would still show the old drivers. I tried through Lenovo's "System Update" utility too. Same thing. Install would complete, restart, check "System Update" again and the same drivers were show up as needed.

What I had to do was, go into the BIOS and turn off my NVIDIA Optimus settings. I changed it so the system was only using the Integrated graphics (Intel 1000 chip or something) instead of the Discrete NVIDIA graphics. This allowed me to successfully update my drivers. And then to install Win10

Just a heads up for those who had this problem

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    In this scenario you wouldn't be able to get a digital entitlement for the system with the discrete nvidia vga turned on.

3. joeyjoey

joeyjoey MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2016
    What does that mean?

I've since switched the BIOS back to the nvidia discrete graphics and Win10 is working fine. I'm getting no msgs for invalid license or anything..

4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Are you still activated, if so, don't worry about it:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. joeyjoey

joeyjoey MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2016
    #5 joeyjoey, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    (OP)
    Where do I check that?

edit/
    Control Panel -> System

it says Windows is activated :)

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    In settings, under Update & Security, activation

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. joeyjoey

joeyjoey MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2016
    yep it says Activated with Digital Entitlement

thanks

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Than you had the digital entitlement for both, with or without the nvidia turned on.

On my second system the onboard lan died and i put in a pci lan card and at reinstalling windows the HWID was gone, did the trick all over again (upgrade/genuineticket) and it got a new HWID.

9. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    it makes sense to incorporate the NIC in the HWID hash as it is much less likely to be upgraded than a video adapter. MS probably is trying to minimize the anguished phone calls from people doing a really common upgrade.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    His nvidia also is onboard, that's what i thought, him having to go into the bios to shut it down.

11. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    He describes the Nvidia graphics as discrete which means not integrated. My motherboard forces me to disable the on board chip before it will use a card in the PCIe slot.

12. joeyjoey

joeyjoey MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2016
    NVIDIA Optimus technology is a laptop technology which incorporates both an Integrated Intel chip, and a Discrete Nvidia chip, but both are onboard afaik. Obviously the NVIDIA chip is the more powerful one and the Intel one is the power saving one. The OS determines when each chip should be used, but you can choose one specifically in the BIOS

13. joeyjoey

joeyjoey MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2016
    I was just prompted today to upgrade my Win10 to version 1607 (anniversary update)

During the update, it again froze at 32%, in the same way as it did in the original post. I rebooted, and looked in my BIOS again, and this time, I wasn't using NVIDIA Optimus (which allows the OS to switch between the onboard intel integrated gfx and the NVIDIA discrete chip), but rather I had the BIOS solely set to use the NVIDIA Discrete gfx. I changed this back to the Intel Integrated gfx and then the update went right past 32% and succeeded fully.

So for whatever reason, these Win 10 updates seem to REQUIRE using the onboard integrated Intel graphics setting in the BIOS

I'm on a Lenovo Thinkpad w530, a few years old

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Almost a year and a few releases + 2 new editions later? :D

15. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Hey Bat, seems like when he switched back to default settings he got prompt:weep::weep:

16. joeyjoey

joeyjoey MDL Novice

Feb 25, 2016
    Same problem happened again for the Creators Update 1703: got stuck at 32% and hung.

Solution, reboot, change BIOS from Discrete Graphics to Integrated Graphics, allows Windows to revert back, and then redownload the update!