[Solved] Windows 8.1 on Acer 5920G (WiFi adapter and more devices can't run)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dedalos92, Oct 7, 2013.

1. dedalos92

dedalos92 MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2012
    #1 dedalos92, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    [Help] Windows 8.1 on Acer 5920G (WiFi adapter and more devices can't run) :(

After installation Windows 8.1 on my (ok old) laptop all seems normal but after reboot no WiFi, no Internet, no working WiFi adapter (the device can't start).
    Iin device manager, wifi card (try 2 deferent intel cards Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN and Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN) can't start to work.
    In the device manager 2-3 more unknown devices (yellow mark, no drivers or can't start work) but without Internet i can't try to fix this problems (2 pci devices and this one intel communication device).
    I try all the known ways to add drivers (setup, manual....no internet) or to make it work but nothing, the devices don't works, can't start works (error code 10, i think).
    Maybe this is mobo drivers problem?
    So what can i do?
    NO windows 8.1 on my laptop?" :(
    Now back to Windows 8.

My laptop
    Acer Aspire 5920G | CPU: T9500 (max 2800MHz) | VGA: Nvidia 9600M GT (512Mb) | RAM: 4GB | HDD: Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid 500GB (SSD/HDD 7200 RPM) | OS: Windows 8 Pro wmc 64bit

Thanks

2. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
  3. mydigitaldesktop

mydigitaldesktop MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Just do it in order.

1. take the time to list all your hardware

2. go to every manufacturers web site and get the latest driver

3. check the driver date - if it isn't later than August 29, 2013 you may or may not have a problem, just something to stay aware of.

4. put all the drivers on a usb drive or dvd etc so you can access them without an internet connection

5. Both of your wireless options are Intel which is is having issues with 8.1 so make sure you have a ethernet cable available and the LAN driver you need

6. The latest NVIDIA drivers still support your 9600M so thats a bonus compared to us poor owners of laptops with AMD video from the same time period who have been completely forgotten by AMD!

4. dedalos92

Nov 11, 2012
  5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Have you try to set the drivers to compatibility for their original Windows version? Try that!

The way is easy:
    • right click on the driver executable and/or setup file
    • chose Properties
    • select Compatibility
    • click on Run this program in compatibility mode for:
    • chose the drivers original OS
    • check Run this program as an administrator
    • click Apply
    • click ok
    • install the driver

In many cases that will work. So just give it a try.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. dedalos92

Nov 11, 2012
    #7 dedalos92, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    (OP)
    OK, Thanks, i 'll try it, but this is a solution when can't installation the drivers.
    The main problem is not the drivers installation, it is the device can't start working and there is no drivers for pci slots/device, this is plug and play. The drivers installation is normal and success.....

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Also Plug/n Play Devices need drivers. Mainly they're part of Windows Drivers Family. And it's the driver who's starting the device for working! Many Windows drivers are not downward compatible for Windows OS's!

Maybe you use an apps like Everest, which gives you precise info about the Manufacturer of the device which could not start and you check there Website for related driver.

Some times it's quite a tricky game to get something to work!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. dedalos92

Nov 11, 2012
    It is very common for all OS (not only Windows, but Linux and more!) devices, and is Intel too near to MS.
    And if the problem is the drivers what all is ok before first reboot?
    I don't know maybe just my laptop is too old for win 8.1 :(

9. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    I have the same laptop and I can tell you it IS the card reader driver, you need to find the right one, I remember I tried a couple different ones before getting the right one, and then magically all the devices started to work properly.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    NO, it's not to old (4 or 5 years or so!) should be just works fine. same model of a friend is working with no problems with 8.1! Unfortunately he's in Downunder (Australia) for the next 2 or 3 month so I couldn't ask him what drivers he were using. But I know that he also had to use Everest to find the real manufacturer of the parts and got the drivers from there because Acer didn't had them.

It's up to you to try, sorry that I couldn't help more.

11. dedalos92

Nov 11, 2012
    #12 dedalos92, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    (OP)
    Oh! This is very interest!
    Do you have win 8.1 on acer 5920g? without problems?
    The card reader driver IS the problem for all this?
    This is that you want to say?
    If yes please please must to remember...

ps
    sorry for my English...

12. mydigitaldesktop

mydigitaldesktop MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2013
    - the "device not working" can be caused by the wrong driver
    - the device has a "pci id" which you can use to find the manufacturer and specific device - that can help with getting the right device driver
    - with Windows 8, I have had some weird issues with installing drivers in compat mode and suggest people avoid it

13. Camazza

Camazza MDL Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Exactly, I have the 5920g with Win 8.1 and I had the exact same problem, I solved it by updating the card reader driver.
    By the way, Win8.1 runs perfectly!

14. Sahne

Sahne MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2013
    I have a workaround how to temporarily fix the WiFi issue till Microsoft or Intel comes out with a fix.

1. shut down laptop (laptop needs to be shut down probably before the next steps work!!)
    2. switch laptop on
    3. go to device manager
    4. right click (windbond CIR transceiver) uninstall
    5. right click (wifi adapter) uninstall
    6. click on icon in top bar (scan for hardware changes)

Now your WiFi adapter should work. Unfortunately every time you need to restart your Laptop for any reason you have to do the steps above again, it doesn't effect it thou if you go in sleep mode, hibernation, shut down etc..

15. dedalos92

Nov 11, 2012
  16. picchio

picchio MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2012
  17. dedalos92

Nov 11, 2012
  18. trasher255

trasher255 MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I have a Acer Aspire 7720G with a similar issue on Windows 8.1. After the install of Windows 8.1 wifi worked fine. But after a couple of hours the wifi for no reason turned off, the orange wifi-led went off and wifi stops working. I did manage to get it working again two times only by removing the battery for a few minutes. But now it's dead. Tried so far:
    • turn wifi on via PC-settings
    • change energy settings of the Intel NIC
    • install latest Intel PRO driver
    Any help will be appreciated.

19. trasher255

trasher255 MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Seems that entering the BIOS and saving the BIOS-settings resolves the issue. Probably not permanent. Maybe the CMOS battery is dead.