[Solved] Windows 8.1 settings changing by themselves

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Super Spartan, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    A friend of mine sent me an email and I have no idea........can you please tell me what could be causing this.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Three Lions

Three Lions MDL Junior Member

Sep 20, 2013
    run a check via windows updates on the system to check for updated drivers, also when you friend change the settings did he save or apply them also check in the device manager for outdated drivers like graphics

This may help

3. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    is it that your friend saves settings in the cloud?

4. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    thanks for the input guys, I'll ask him and revert back

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    In PC Settings, there is no SAVE or apply, you just change the settings and that's it

6. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    his reply:

"I am signing in with my Microsoft account. I tried turning off the settings sync and backup from the PC Settings app and the result is that windows firewall now automatically turns itself on for both public and private networks."

Why would the network settings change themselves automatically? never had that happen to me before

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    was just an idea since you can synchronize lots of settings with other machines in the cloud if saved to and then all machines try to apply all synced settings accordingly

8. Three Lions

Three Lions MDL Junior Member

Sep 20, 2013
    Help With This Follow Info Below
    1. Open control panel
    2. Click Network and Internet
    3. Look To Left Of The Screen & Click Change Advanced Settings
    4.Now Click Drop Down Menu Private
    5.Turn On or Off Network Discovery (your choice)
    6.Then Look At The Bottom Of The Page & Click Save Changes -Then Re-Boot

As For Windows Firewall Is Your Friend Running Any Antivirus Software On The System as These Often Make Changes to The System Default Settings

As For and the monitor refresh rate (I set it to 67hz, but it goes back to 60hz by itself). What is causing this? I have never seen anything like it.

This seems could be a driver issue find out where your friend obtain his win 8.1 that they install as their is many un-safe ones online
    I Suggest you obtain the version you need from either Murphy Or Paul Desmond on this site These Work Well & Are Clean
    Hope That Helps
    If you need More Info Pm Me

9. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Thanks a lot chief! will get back to you! I appreciate your help

10. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    #10 Super Spartan, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    (OP)
  11. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    is it a Norton bug by chance? Or is any other crappy AV software involved?

12. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    maybe he best run that old SFC /scannow to see if any corrupt. and it also would be nice to know
    all the installed Programs... some 3d party programs set "their way" and the only way to disable is "totally remove" your chose, to use or not to use... very often when I go to a "client" and start to fix, i usually find,
    it started after i did xxxx, or the kids visited and I let them do this or that...

13. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

I advised him to uninstall his Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 and that solved all the issues he had! :)

14. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Nope, I have Norton Security, not a single issue, it turned out to be Bitdefender Internet Security that was the issue. I've always known that AV although gets good results in virus tests, has a lot of quirks, and even their latest and greatest 2015 version was no better

15. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    glad to read that another AV crap was the problem :D

16. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Indeed, I was telling him from the start to try uninstalling Bitdefender but he didn't listen until we tried all suggestions you guys mentioned then finally gave up and uninstalled Bitdefender everything worked as normal!

Bitdefender & Kaspersky often misguide people into buying them because they score great on virus tests such as AV Comparatives and AV-Test, but what people forget is what quirks they bring in.

For example, a while back, if you had KAV or KIS installed and had Nero Platinum Suite 2014 intalled, you would never be able to complete a disc burn, it would fail at writing lead out.

Now the guy's 2 year license is burned and he is installing a free AV (Panda Free) until he can afford a decent AV solution which doesn't break the system down just to protect him.

17. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    always consider that AV industry is well instrumented to fool ppl taking their money out of the pocket

18. Aninvitedsoul

Aninvitedsoul MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Only AV industry ? :g:

19. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    certainly not but AV is my favorite :roflmao: