[SOLVED] Windows 8 restart loop - How to repair? I don't have a rescue disk

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by apologist, Feb 17, 2016.

1. apologist

apologist MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2011
    #1 apologist, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    Hi,
    Sorry for creating such a thread. But, this is really a problem for me. I have a Windows 8 pre-installed HP envy 4 4-1215dx ultrabook here which for some reason keeps going on with Window 8 restarting loop. It shows Windows is automatically repairing and then FAILED message with "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED". I have no rescue disk or system image ready with this ultrabook. I tried disabling secure boot and boot a windows 8.1 usb drive, but it cannot boot into.
    Shift+F8 for safe mode also not working.

When I tried to boot with a Windows 8.1 usb drive, the error says "Selected boot image did not authenticate. Press Enter to Continue"

Is there a way, to do a system refresh or system restore and is there any rescue iso available?

Thanks in Advance.

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Make a UEFI / GPT USB drive with RUFUS and boot from that

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    It absolutely incomprehensible why do not you make a new and clean installation?
    Besides, why Windows 8? At least 8.1 should be, if don't want 10! But why not 10, cannot understand.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. apologist

apologist MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2011
    Yes. I managed to boot the usb drive with Win8.1 (it's a gpt ntfs drive) which earlier was throwing some errors. I disabled secure boot and enabled legacy option. But afterwards, the screen asked to enter some random numbers + Enter key to confirm which I failed to see earlier. So, it worked and I did a system restore, removed almost all damned apps installed and made a new restore point.Still I want some help.

1. This is a untouched HP Ultrabook with recovery partition. I want to make system recovery images so as to restore the laptop into original condition. Is there a way, to create it with external dvd writer or create dvd images and store in the PC itself or with an external hard drive? IIRC, I tried with external hard drive and it failed to create.
    2. If I resize the C partition to get some space for Linux /, /home and swap partitions, will it bork the Windows setup?
    3. How to backup Windows 8 activation? Since it is a UEFI system, I've read some folder needs to be backed up and restored after a fresh installation of Windows? (I got the Windows 8 key using a Linux live cd, looking at ACPI tables).

I had created a Win8.1 drive manually with the EFI loader from /pbatard/uefi-ntfs (same thing as Rufus) extracted and it worked.

Hi,
    This laptop was a PITA, the keyboard randomly gets complaint and after sitting idle for 6 months, replaced the keyboard. Yes, I'll be upgrading to Windows 8.1. But, may be after a clean reinstall. Why not Windows 10? Well, no one is using it here and keep doing downgrade to Windows 7 or go with Linux. Don't know why :(

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Weird. Very strange thoughts. Happy flying in seventh heaven.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...