[Solved] windows 8 to 8.1 problems in updating

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by salida, May 11, 2014.

1. salida

salida MDL Novice

May 11, 2014
    #1 salida, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    Well i have windows 8 ent on my pc with kms pico 9.2.3 activated.

I want to upgrade to any version (pro or ent) of windows 8.1 but what i have tried seems to fail.
    **i want to keep my programs , files and settings**

i insert the windows 8.1 msdn dvd and start setup.exe but when it comes to select how to proceed
    keep only my files , fresh install are the only options available (keep my programs , files and settings is missing)

after that i used the command d:\setup.exe /auto:upgrade but failed.

i also tried to downgrade windows 8 ent to win8 pro but it failed (saying i was using wrong architecture (i had the correct though)).

i would appreciate any help given or some guide.

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    make sure that the update DVD holds the same lagugage which was originally installed during W8 setup. If language differs you cannot keep everything

3. salida

salida MDL Novice

May 11, 2014
    #3 salida, May 11, 2014
    (OP)
    originally installed english US but
    location used other language and
    keyboard used english US

also i have red the suggestion above, and tried to chang all language and regional settings to English US. didnt work

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    changing system settings does not help. You MUST upgrade from W8 to 8.1 enterprise using the same new install media/language which you used at initial install of W8 no matter what you altered in the meantime.
    For example: you installed entW8 in english and changed lp to whatever, you must upgrade with english 8.1 and later install new lp pack. No way around if you want to keep everything, sorry to say

5. salida

salida MDL Novice

May 11, 2014
    i am aware of that...no i have not installed any lp
    the only changes i have made is regional settings and location.

6. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    you have the the x 86 or x64 for upgrade purpose? Only same architecture will be possible. Loosing activation when going up to 8.1 is obvious, you know you must reactivate.
    Delete every kind of AV software because that s!it is useless
    Make sure you have enough disc space on drive C:/ when this is your windoze location

7. salida

salida MDL Novice

May 11, 2014
    #7 salida, May 11, 2014
    (OP)
    i have x64 installed and i use the windows 8.1 x64 (with multiple editions inside form msdn) to upgrade.
    i know about reactivation dont mind.
    haven't got any AV even mse is disabled.
    the free space is about 16gb

i repeat the upgrade procedure again to state the error i get ,gimme some time

8. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    free space might be the problem here but this is just an assumption because I don't know how many stuff you have installed on drive C
    Clean up as much space you can by deleting all history files for restoration except the last one, Clean update files, simply make room for the move

9. salida

salida MDL Novice

May 11, 2014
    #9 salida, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    (OP)
    As mentioned above i repeated the upgrade procedure ,
    it takes time to prepare the installation inside "$windows.~bt" after that it restarts
    below windows logo saying "Seting Up" and it goes 1%...2%...3%...4%...really fast to 46% and
    restarts again saying "Restoring your previous version of Windows" and
    restarts again and goes into desktop giving the error

0 × 80004005 - 0x2000C

after some searching in a MS forum i found the fix to this error to be the following commands
    regsvr32 Softpub.dll
    regsvr32 Wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 Initpki.dll (that command returned an error)

restarted and repeated the upgrade procudure which FINALLY did complete succesfully :) after about 30 mins.

By the way after booting to windows 8.1 i got the black screen (due to wat) , and did fix that also.

Can be marked as solved , thanks everyone for helping out