[SOLVED] Windows 8 - Windows Update BIG failure

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by AlTarf27, Mar 26, 2014.

1. AlTarf27

AlTarf27 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    #1 AlTarf27, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    Uh, hello everybody, this is my first post as I'm quite new to the forum. Where to start... I have an Acer Z1620, bought about 5 months ago. I really have no idea when, how or why this started, I just know that I wanted to get rid of Windows 8 and now I want it back like a fool. I am aware of every single configuration you must deal with when entering UEFI/BIOS as Windows 7 is unbootable, if values are set to default, so my (now) BIOS is set like this:

Authentication (Secure Boot) - Disabled
    Launch CSM - Always
    Boot Menu (unbelievable, it was disabled) - Enabled

all of this just to boot Windows 7's installation -.- anyway, I ran Windows 7 happily for like 2 months, but as I'm sorta a crazy person, I decided to return to Windows 8 because, overall, it's faster and it manages to give a bettter use of system resources, forces my hard drive to adopt GPT style and such. So, I used Daz's Windows Loader 2.2.1 to activate Windows 7 and everything worked just fine, the OS I missed so much was back. But then again, I wanted to return to Windows 8, activation wasn't a problem obviously, as the serial is, somehow, provided by the BIOS. I had much earlier created a system factory image by using Acer Recovery, and then used a 32 GB flash stick to restore my PC to its default OEM operating system. In short, when I ran Windows Update, all of the updates (if not mostly) came up with Errors, they like wouldn't even attempt to install, they like would get skipped: 1 to 2, 2 to 8, 8 to 50 and so on... so I checked the updates history and, to my surprise, A LOT OF UPDATES INSTALLED WITH ERRORS. I couldn't believe it, this' never happened to me before, and hell I've jumped from Windows 8 to Windows 7 and from Windows 7 to Windows 8 many times, but now that I last 2 months this happens, it's the most unsatisfying thing ever, I was so decided to return to Windows 8, cause Windows 7 didn't end up satisfying me with its performance. Can anyone please give an idea why this is happening, I'm really freaking out here. Thank you very much in advance.

2. mabaega

mabaega MDL Senior Member

Dec 30, 2010
    #2 mabaega, Mar 26, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    do not know what's happening with your computer.
    maybe you could try running sfc / scannow via the command prompt as admin. and run the Update Troubleshooter from the Control Panel.
    I hope this help you.

3. AlTarf27

AlTarf27 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    Hey there. Thank you for answering. I'll try what you suggested later. I just managed to do a successful update of my UEFI/BIOS to the latest version (downloaded from my manufacturer's site) will this help? I also set the whole configuration to default settings. Thank you again for answering.

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    unlikely... This seems like a big system file problem.
    When you upgraded to 8 did you allow it to download updates?
    I'm not sure if 7 to 8 causes that problem, but 8 to 8.1 does if you don't allow it to download updates.

The only time I've even remotely seen a system like what you're describing is when I upgraded 8 to 8.1 without allowing it to d/l the newer setup file.

5. AlTarf27

AlTarf27 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    Hmmm what do you mean by allowing it to "download updates"? What I do is allowing it to look up updates, but it's my decision to download and install them because I find automatic stuff really annoying, so I guess that's a yes to your question... however this was never a problem before :/ and yea I've upgraded to Windows 8.1 before, but didn't like it, it made a lot of unwanted changes.

6. AlTarf27

AlTarf27 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    OH FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. Yeah you were right, it didn't work, UEFI/BIOS updated BUT NOT MY OPERATING SYSTEM. This is just the most ridiculous informatics inconvenient I've ever had... I just wanna throw my computer through the window.

7. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    Dont through it! Give it to me :)

8. AlTarf27

AlTarf27 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    I forgot to mention I get the 800F082F error code on ALL updates. Is anyone familiar with it?

9. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    There are detailed instructions around the web for converting mbr systems to gpt without ditching all your files.
    I believe you use a program called gptgen, but there are a few more things you need to do.
    Just toss up some web or mdl searches and you will be able to convert things.

It still wouldn't solve the failed updates problem though. That actually sounds like a serious issue.

If you wish to reformat your system and re-install things correctly you should know that you have to boot into UEFI: version of your dvd or usb drive.
    AFAIK you cannot get Windows to setup UEFI GUID booting correctly if you do not run setup or at least bcdboot from UEFI booted device.

10. AlTarf27

AlTarf27 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    Yes, I've used UEFI mode to restore my PC to its factory values. I've google'd and apparently the error code I mentioned earlier shows when a restart is required in order to install rest of updates. I tried installing updates individually and they installed... maybe an update is causing this error to happen, as it wouldn't before, and updates come out every month. This has happened to me before on Windows 7 - in September last year, I had to always uncheck an update cause it wouldn't install, after reboot it would, so pheraps this is the same... just so many updates with the same error kinda creeps me out. Anyway I'll let you know. Thanks for your reply :)

11. AlTarf27

AlTarf27 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    Okay, well, I formatted, ran Windows Update again, and as expected, almost all updates failed to install. What I did was restarting (the updates then disappeared, so I had to look them up again -.-) but anyway, I did that again and they installed without errors... weirdest thing that's ever happened to me, but solution was rather simple. Thanks everyone for taking time to read and replying - problem solved.

EDIT: hmmm I'm not sure how to edit the thread's title to mark it as [SOLVED] so I guess I should leave it to a mod.

12. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    Use chrome, edit->go advanced, edit title. :D

13. AlTarf27

AlTarf27 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    Yup, running chrome right now - best browser ever :) Cheers.

14. AlTarf27

AlTarf27 MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2013
    Hello everybody I'm here for an update. Turns out it's Microsoft's fault. Like I said, problem with updates didn't exist before but now does (I think, since new updates were released last week) the culprit were all 2014 updates for Windows 8, so I unchecked them all and rest of updates installed without a problem. Microsoft is getting ridiculous....

15. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #16 hack, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...