[Solved] Windows XP and an SSD

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Ren3gade, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Ren3gade

Ren3gade MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2014
    #1 Ren3gade, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Just want a second opinion on running XP on an SSD, now I'm around 85% sure that you're going to get serious stability issues with running XP on an SSD (That's if its even fully possible).

Me and my colleges have all tried are best and we're not really getting anywhere with it, a lot of blue screens, locking up of the OS loading fails and auto-reboots. And that's in safe mode and normal.

So just want a few opinions / ideas on if this is even possible, like I said i'm pretty sure its not.

Cheers.

2. Ren3gade

Ren3gade MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2014
    an interesting idea, its worth a shot thanks, will update you on the result.

3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    There should be no problem some Asus Eee pc's came with windows xp and have ssd drives.

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea that's true, those little netbooks are SSD & XP

5. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    I'm about to install XP on my 5+ year old laptop, which is definitely showing it's age. And I've discovered in the past that it runs XP alot more better than Win7.

I'll continue to use Win7 x64 on my desktop, cause it has lots of ram.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Ren3gade

Ren3gade MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2014
    Okay I've been getting somewhere with this.

One of the problems (not major) but there is no native support for the SATA TRIM in the file system drivers, apparently there are certain SSD drives that come with tools to support this but if not there are a few programs for this, I've found there are some tweaking tools, but I've chosen to edit the registry manually disabling many things.

Disable background disk defragmentation
    Disable Background auto-layout
    Disable update of filesystem's (lastaccess update)
    Disable Prefetch

After doing this i've noticed the boot time increase and stability seems to be a lot better.

I've also read that disabling system restore services and the swap file (pagefile) but this depends on system memory.

From what i find to be the most important part is the partition alignment. Align the partitions so that they are 4k disk blocks, and formatting NTFS file system and 4096 as the allocation size.

After all this things seem to be running okay, maybe there is an easier way but this is what i've done and it seems to be working pretty well for now. Strange boot message saying that it can't find the HDD but then quickly goes onto loading XP which only takes a couple of seconds then its logging in. Still tweaking will check back and update you all on the progress, thanks for the support so far :)

7. Ren3gade

Ren3gade MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2014
    Okay there doesn't seem to be much more to do with this, thanks for the support guys and i will mark this as solved incase anyone else has issues with XP on an SSD...

Seems a lot of people just give up but it is definitely possible just takes a bit of patience and all should be okay.

Cheers.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    dont forget the SVCHOST 99% cpu fix in this xp section also ( not related to the ssd issue)

9. eydee

eydee Guest

M$ fixed xp windows update recently. There's no cpu usage issue anymore, wu loads in a matter of seconds.