[Solved] Windows XP SP3 x86 DMI Spoofing HELP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by max2daz, Oct 2, 2014.

1. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    #1 max2daz, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Hello everyone,

As you can tell I am new to this forum and I have been reading threads for the past 4 hours trying to mod my BIOS on VMware running Windows XP SP3 x32. I would like to apologize in advance as I am still getting familiar with all the new words you guys are using so I am very sorry for the newbie questions but I am eager to learn. I tried modding my BIOS by downloading different programs in the sticky category and nothing has worked for me. It gives me an error saying operation system not found.

What really brought me here is I would like to learn how alter the VM to change the BIOS brand, motherboard information and serial numbers, CPUID information and some other parameters. I am installing a fresh version of windows XP that I downloaded from Maher after reading that he has by far the best version of windows XP available. I am re-installing it because I think I messed around with the BIOS and none of the files I downloaded here seem to work and I cannot connect to the internet anymore when I access my old version of windows xp in VMware.

If anyone can help me with my situation it would be appreciated. I was reading something about DMI that spoofing but like I said before I am new to this tech world and I just want to be pointed in the right direction. I don't know if this matters but here are some more information about the version of XP I will be installing:

CRC32: C24B3484
    MD5: 0A6435346FD5CEADF0FCEE29F2A74BA8
    SHA-1: 50EEE0B312CF548F11C55C998B61738945143C2D

Will I need to mod the BIOS or is there a simpler solution for me to try as I read that if you are not experienced to not play around with that as you can screw up your OS.

Thanks!

UPDATE: SORRY FOR THE MISLEADING TITLE, ITS THE X32 VERSION NOT THE X64 WHICH DOES NOT EXIST

2. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    so sorry, x32

3. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    I'm not finding quite the information. I'm sure it's there but the techy words are not helping me at all when I got to search on google almost all the abbreviations used :p

4. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    That hash is Maher's September 2014 integrated ISO, yeah his releases are good and safe. As far as your bios being screwed up in VMware, try a reinstall of VMware to repair it.

5. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    yes, it's exactly the 2014 integrated iso by Maher and thanks for validating the fact that it's a good release. other then that, any ideas where I can start to solve my problem?

6. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    nobody has any ideas?

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Well from what I can see no need to modify VMWare bios because it will have VLK key.

8. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    ok thats the volume license key, and what does it mean if it has the VLK key? Is there a way I can spoof what I need to spoof without modding the bios?

9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller MDL Spinning Tortoise

Dec 21, 2012
    Volume license doesn't rely on BIOS info. Only OEM SLP 1.0 needs it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    Ok.. I have Phoenix BIOS

11. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    Ok heres an update:

I found the [FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]DMI Boot CD for Award-AMI-Intel BIOS (Add SLP1.0 w/o modding)[/FONT]. This is the thing that I need because it is specified that you can change the parameters I need to change. So basically I get 4 options:

Press 1: View or verifiy OEM SLP Bios Menu
    Press 2: Tattoo AMI-Award bios for Hewlett OEM
    Press 3: Tattoo Intel bios for Hewlett OEM

Press4: Exit to DOS promp

When I press 1, it gives me:

option 1.png

Option 2:

option 2.png

Option 3:

option 3.png

Option 4:

option 4.png

I think option 4 is where I should really be playing around but anything I put it says bad value name or that the value does not exist.

I didn't mod anything because the description says that I can add the SLP 1.0 without modding.

Any help would be appreciated???

12. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    without bios modding. The DMI values are changed, and are not considered part of the bios system proper for this purpose. Messing with these parameters in the DMI will not brick your bios, modding the bios by disassembling the bios and reassembling with changes may.

DMI changes in this way are not generally considered bios modding on this forum.

You have to add SLP strings to provide "spoofing".

To change the VMware bios/dmi settings, there is a tool specifically for that. http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...Workstation-Player-Multi-Brand-Bios-Installer

I would think maybe some research on verbiage used in the modding process would be to your advantage.

The VLK ISO will not care what strings are in the DMI, slp activation will.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    #13 max2daz, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    (OP)
    Thank you for answering me once again. I know I am a noob and this is very easy for you.

This software was the first thing I tried getting on this forum. Here's the main error message I get :

error.PNG

What exactly am I doing wrong? The program you referred me to gives me an option from 1-147. I made the USB boot and after I chose one of the number. It said everything was good to go and the program closed. I opened Vmware and booted the USB option by inserting a USB in my computer.

14. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I am unsure of the question. You can boot to ISO. Make an ISO with ultra or power iso...

15. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I was confused as to whether this is going in VMware or on physical hardware. Either way, if you are going to try and change all this stuff in Bios and whatnot to change brand, you should be using a WindowsXP Sp3 untouched iso instead of a 3rd party compiled one that is designed to activate on any system. Actually, I think you should be looking for an OEM version of whatever it is you want instead.

16. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    I am using it for Vmware and not my phyisical drive. I tried installing an OEM version and it still giving me the exact error.

And 911 medic my question is why is it giving me this error and how can I fix it?

17. max2daz

max2daz MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2014
    Still in pain guys, spent hours reading around and re installing different versions of xp and still nothing. My blood is boiling. As always, any help is appreciated!

18. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
  19. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    For the moment from what I can see is he has made bootable usb but vmware is trying to boot from network. He is not pressing ESC button to get to boot screen choice so he can select usb ( don't know why he is even using usb when Vmware can boot from iso file )

20. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #20 CaptainKirk1966, Oct 5, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    With vmware player, I usually find xp setup a bit awkward. Vmware wants to run it's own peculiar setup procedure, asking for license key up front. I get around it by creating the new machine with blank disk, and saying that I will setup the os later. Then, boot and hit F2 key repeatedly to get into bios setup, move cd drive to top of boot sequence, save and exit bios setup. Then go back to vm setiings and check that iso file is indeed connected to the virtual cd drive and reboot.

Anyhow, the Maher iso will install and activate in the volume channel without any bios or dmi mods.